Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mystery Raffle Fundraising Idea >

Mystery Raffle Fundraising Idea

Mystery Raffle Fundraising Idea

Old 02-23-2012, 10:56 AM

Default Mystery Raffle Fundraising Idea

I've been asked to post our guild's fundraising idea that's been wildly successful. We did this for a year, every month, and we never pulled in less than $50 per month, and surpassed $100 at the December and August meetings (August is our guild's "birthday" month). You could also do this as a one-shot-deal for a specific purpose.

Whatever is to be raffled is put into a black trash bag so no one can see what it is. Sometimes when the shape or weight or size might give it away, it's been put into a larger box with oddball things like marbles or a brick or two or jingle bells. These items are donated and have a minimum retail value of $25 or $50. Nothing used - no "leftovers" or sewing room culls unless they've never been opened. The main crux of the donations was to not require additional costs to the donors or guild. Many of us have those small finished projects or items we don't use or need, usually class projects that no longer give us a thrill ... We stayed away from books unless it were one of those "complete visual guides" or perhaps a Harriet Hargrave Quilter's Academy genre. Rotary cutter BLADES are always popular, too.

We blocked out each month and members quickly stepped forward to "claim" the month that they'd donate something through the Ways & MEans chairmen; the donor was acknowledged before the drawing and actually pulled the wining ticket. Tickets were priced at $1 each or 6 for $5.

IDEAS:
  • our first donation was a large-ish fabric-covered clothesline bowl filled with a dozen homemade cookies and a loaf of this member's famous lemon glazed pound cake
  • a pair of very expensive Ginger scissors bought with 40% off coupons (the kind you have a hard time justifying for yourself)
  • set of fully loaded (feature-wise) casserole carrier, with an IOU for the winner's choice of casserole (in other words - the donating member made a dinner casserole for the winner on the date of her choice)
  • A set of a tablerunner and hot pads (for the serving table). It'd be interesting if they were were reversible - for example, Thanksgiving on one side,"winter" on the other. I'd scotch-guard the ensemble,too.
  • a set of 2 or 4 pillowcases withmatching throw pillow covers (could be zipper closure or fold/flap closure) a
  • a sofa/bed topper, perhaps reversible
  • <o></oa 36x36 wall quilted wall hanging and complementary mantle/sofa/bedtopper. Again, reversible would be extra special.
  • a set of four 4-sided/4seasons placemats, matching 4-seasonstable runner
  • a basket of templates or rulers (several were donated and were bundled into a fat quarter gift bag
  • gift certificate to a local quilt shop

Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

thanks for the great ideas! sounds like fun
Old 02-23-2012, 01:01 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I should join our local guild. I know nothing about guilds. You make it sound like fun and seems like there is a closeness in the guild. I wonder if our guild does things like this. How do you find a guild in your area? I know we have one, but don't know where the meetings are held or when or even the name of it. I guess I could ask at the quilt shop. Do you have to pay dues? Can you just visit?