Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Name this block please >

Name this block please

Name this block please

Old 01-18-2014, 02:18 AM

Default Name this block please

[ATTACH=CONFIG]457147[/ATTACH]

Hi everyone! This is the first time I've posted in here, so hope I am doing it right. I've just made this block up. I used the pattern that came with the Fat Quarter SHop's mystery designer BOM. This one was designed by Kate Spain. I've emailed Kate to ask permission to use the pattern for my month as queen in my quilting bee, and she's said yes. Anyway, i'm searching online for the same block but with a tutorial/pattern that is already in a pdf form or similar, to save me from scanning the paper pattern I have! I have googled "whirly gig star" etc etc, but come up with nothing! Any help would be greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails 1601548_10152229146508619_1162374165_n.jpg  
Old 01-18-2014, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

If it was designed by Kate Spain, and she answered your first email, can't you email her again to ask the name of the block?

it looks like 4 sizes of friendship star stacked upon each other to me.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:03 AM

don't know but like it
Old 01-18-2014, 06:48 AM

Very interesting block. Perhaps Kate Spain has a PDF that she will share with you.

Just for fun, and because I need the practice, I drew it out in EQ7 as a 12 inch block. I like it much better as a Paper Pieced block. Much cleaner look. Ignore my wild colors, I was just trying to keep each part very clear. Now, I wonder if my picture will show up...sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Will I get lucky this time??? OOPS! Forgot to hit the upload button.
Attached Thumbnails friendship-blocks-katespainpp.jpg  

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 01-18-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:52 AM

Don't have a name but your choice of colors illustrates the block perfectly. What I can see is mostly HST matched up. A great block.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
If it was designed by Kate Spain, and she answered your first email, can't you email her again to ask the name of the block?

it looks like 4 sizes of friendship star stacked upon each other to me.
I agree ... it's a friendship star in the centre. However with it being Kate Spain's pattern, you really should keep with the name she has given it and with full credit to her, noting her permission of use on any copies you distribute.

Why do you need another pattern? You said you have it and could scan it ... that would let you create the PDF. Surely, that is not too much work, when you have been given the permission?
Old 01-18-2014, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ms Midge View Post
I've emailed Kate to ask permission to use the pattern for my month as queen in my quilting bee, and she's said yes. Anyway, i'm searching online for the same block but with a tutorial/pattern that is already in a pdf form or similar, to save me from scanning the paper pattern I have!
I'm confused ... if you have a scanner (or copier) and the pattern ... why continue looking for something?

Also, when Kate gave you permission to use the block, did she also give permission to "distribute" the pattern? And does SHE have the rights to the pattern? The rights to the pattern might be owned by the Fat Quarter Shop if they were the ones that distributed it. Wondering if Kate understood what you meant by "permission to use the pattern in your quilting bee".

Lastly, if indeed Kate understands your intention to print multiple copies of the pattern to distribute it, she probably has a name and indeed a PDF she can share with you.

Hmm ... I just found this link and I think this is where you got the block.

http://www.fatquartershop.com/2014-d...k-of-the-month

If the above link is where you got the block, then I was correct and the permission you need to seek to reproduce and distribute the pattern belongs to Fat Quarter Shop.

Note that I said "reproduce and distribute the pattern" - meaning the exact pattern they have distributed to you. It would not preclude you from making your own pattern to look like the same block and distributing it (providing you don't copy the FQS pattern verbatim). As shown above ... draw the pattern out in EQ7 and paper piece it.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:27 AM

I thought I had seen that called a pinwheel star but can not find it right now no that is not it sorry

Last edited by sewwhat85; 01-18-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:39 PM

Thank you all for your replies! I didn't get any email notifications that there had been replies, so I'm sorry for my late reply! To answer a couple of your questions: My scanner has up and died, so that idea went out the window. I'm going to attempt to scan it at work tomorrow and see if it comes out any good.

* In Kate's reply to me she said "Quite honestly, unless a quilt/block is a completely 100% original design, I don't know how the issue of copyright could come into play. I hardly think I'm the first person to come up with that block design! For me, copyright does not pertain to the fabric or how it's used, but only to the original designs I create that are printed on the fabric." So I figured because she said she hardly believes she's the first to come up with the design, I would see if I could find an online tutorial for it, which would be a little easier to point my bee towards. I'm still yet to find one! And yes, I said in my email I would be distributing to 11 others, and she was ok with that.

* I'm thinking that I'm just going to have to write up my own tutorial on the star, with my own photos etc. I'd love to do it paper pieced, however, the bee i'm in decided at the beginning not to have any p/p blocks as half of the participants did not want to do them/or had never done paper piecing before.

Thanks again for your help!!! Glad I found this forum