Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Necessity IS the mother of invention >

Necessity IS the mother of invention

Necessity IS the mother of invention

Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 PM

CRS? Don't you hate it when you walk into a room and then stand there trying to remember what you went for?
Old 04-26-2011, 02:31 AM

Applause! Nothing more fun than being a creative inventor, thinking for yourself. I'm sure my husband doesn't appreciate all that I save...but I have a ready supply of most kinds of basic materials, as I am a woodworker as well. I keep those wood poles too, have used them for a flag pole, a temp curtain rod, & other. Lamp parts are often nearly free @ yard sales.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:34 AM

Great job!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:26 AM

Way to go! I love it when something can be creatively recycled.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Ann
CRS? Don't you hate it when you walk into a room and then stand there trying to remember what you went for?
Oh my gosh, it happens more than I care to admit :thumbdown: I think our brains are just so full if ideas that it becomes overloaded and kicks out the stuff that isn't that important. :wink:
Old 04-26-2011, 07:05 AM

I have buttons in pint jars and bias tape just fits in a shoe box. Inherited the box of bias tape from a woman I never knew. Baby wipes boxes for scissors and rippers --kep them high so little hands don't get hurt.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by grammy17
I have buttons in pint jars and bias tape just fits in a shoe box. Inherited the box of bias tape from a woman I never knew. Baby wipes boxes for scissors and rippers --kep them high so little hands don't get hurt.
I inherited a few boxes of seam binding and bias tape, also from someone I never knew. Baby wipes boxes are awesome!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
I have a large wall hanging that is just about ready to hang. I dreaded spending money on a rod, but it definately needs one. Just before I went to bed last night, I went to my storage room to look for an item. I glanced over to one of the walls where I had stored two broken torchier lamps. All I saw was brushed metal tubing. My eyes visibaly removed the base, cord and the shade. Aha! Knowing that I had two brackets for cafe rods, I grabbed them, and the tubing fit perfectly!! Yay! I grabbed my wall hanging and took measurements and it seems like the rod was made for the wall hanging or the other way around. Woo hoo! Problem solved. :thumbup: Now to finish up the Bargello because I know I don't have to wait for the money to purchase a rod. Better yet, there is another torchier that no longer works to use for another project. :thumbup:
Sounds like a great idea. How about using an old mop or broom handle? If your quilt isn't too wide seems like it would work perfectly. Or even an old rake or shovel handle. Sand and a little paint or stain and viola!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
I have a large wall hanging that is just about ready to hang. I dreaded spending money on a rod, but it definately needs one. Just before I went to bed last night, I went to my storage room to look for an item. I glanced over to one of the walls where I had stored two broken torchier lamps. All I saw was brushed metal tubing. My eyes visibaly removed the base, cord and the shade. Aha! Knowing that I had two brackets for cafe rods, I grabbed them, and the tubing fit perfectly!! Yay! I grabbed my wall hanging and took measurements and it seems like the rod was made for the wall hanging or the other way around. Woo hoo! Problem solved. :thumbup: Now to finish up the Bargello because I know I don't have to wait for the money to purchase a rod. Better yet, there is another torchier that no longer works to use for another project. :thumbup:
Sounds like a great idea. How about using an old mop or broom handle? If your quilt isn't too wide seems like it would work perfectly. Or even an old rake or shovel handle. Sand and a little paint or stain and viola!
Again, another great idea, but they wouldn't fit the brackets I had salvaged and the lamp pole did. ;-)