Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice - 100 year old silk from China >

Need advice - 100 year old silk from China

Need advice - 100 year old silk from China

Old 10-12-2011, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Maybe compromise a bit. I would reinforce one of the collar pieces with an iron on stabilizer and incorporate it into the child's quilt. But the majority of the dress should be preserved and used for another purpose. A wall hanging would be wonderful.
I was wondering about using small bits in applique, in various areas, like a 'peek a boo' sort of thing. The collar bits look ok but are beginning to 'dust' unless it is actually dirt.... :?: :oops: the specks are fine and I didn't want to test the notion! :lol:

Thank you for the compromise!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:55 PM

Thank you ALL for your VALUABLE advice. All I could think when my friend produced the fabric was 'Oh my, ummm.....How on earth am I going to wing this one! " :lol: I may have even said it out loud! :lol:

I got home and thought once cut cannot be uncut....then panic sort of set in. Well then I thought I would ask the questions on QB. :thumbup: If there is a any way of doing things - someone will know and will always help.

I am somewhat relieved that I am not the only one with reservations about using this fabric, pretty though it is and would look nice :| - Thank you all for your time.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:04 AM

I don't think silk is washable and I also don't think it's suitable for a child knowing how dirty they can make a quilt in a short time. Maybe some kind of wall hanging or something might be more suitable in this case. Actually, if it were me, I would somehow display it exactly how it is without cutting it up. It has family significance and to cut it up....would be a shame.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:15 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I can only agree with most of the other posters - this piece has historical significance - at least to her family if not the public. Encourage her to preserve it and make the little lad Thomas the Tank Engine or something. :-D
Old 10-13-2011, 01:40 AM

I have to agree with most of the others. Silk this old will shred when you start to work with it let alone sew it into a quilt, especially for a child. I think she should take it to a university textile department and seek advice on having it preserved for future generations including her son.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:03 AM

Why not contact a museum to see how to remove the mold and stains if possible. I'd work with the museum to know how to preserve it and then have it custom framed and used as a wall hanging. I've seen some in museums and they are beautiful. I'd never make a quilt out of it. It is too precious a heirloom to cut into it. Preserve it.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:49 AM
Power Poster

If I were you, I would ask your friend to come over and read the comments on the board so she can truly appreciate what many experienced quilters have to say about this project. I know from experience that old silks will not hold up to any wash. Good Luck
Old 10-13-2011, 04:29 AM

Why would you want all those flowers for a boy anyways?? no way would I cut it!
Old 10-13-2011, 04:38 AM

Such beautiful fabric deserves to be preserved as the antique treasure that it is.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:45 AM

Silk for a child's quilt?? Is she crazy, apparently she knows nothing about fabric or sewing. 1) It would not hold up to sewing or laudering, you can not wash silk, it comes apart especially something that old trust me been there, done that. A wall hanging would be better.