Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice - 100 year old silk from China >

Need advice - 100 year old silk from China

Need advice - 100 year old silk from China

Old 10-13-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by countryone77
I agree with the rest, this garment is too fragile and precious to cut up for a child's quilt.

One possibility would be to take pictures of portions of the garment and print them on an injket fabric sheet. For a child, cotton would probably be best, but silk could also be used. Here are some that I quickly found -- I'm sure that there are many others ...

http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/Printing/Fabric.asp

http://www.dharmatrading.com/info/ijf.html

http://www.jacquardproducts.com/prod...nkjet/habotai/

http://www.dickblick.com/products/ja...ckw=64929-1000
Excellent idea :thumbup:
Old 10-13-2011, 08:05 AM

WOW I wouldn't make that into a child's quilt - just imagine the washing and loving it would have to stand up to.

Maybe if you scanned pieces of the silk gown and printed it to the fabric that can run through an inkjet printer?

Maybe echo the colors on the child's quilt?

I hate to mention this one but maybe copy the embroidery to red fabric and use that in the quilt?

I hope you show and tell us what you ended up doing with this.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:23 AM

It would be well suited for crazy quilting, BUT I am with the other ladies - not for a childs quilt. I can see several similar pictures of these hanging as a grouping, with a history of the piece either on the front or back of each picture. In case they ever get separated.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:35 AM

I don't think I would touch that fabric. Especially for a child. No no no. Make a wall hanging or something else.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:01 AM

I'm wondering if she thought it might make a nice "silky". Make him something else, and edge it with satin, or some of the blocks satin.

A nice quilt throw (for gentle use) could be made from the silk dress. I would consider covering each section of silk dress used with tulle now, as you make the quilt, rather than as a proventive later, so as it disentigrates it is held together/ protected.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmouse
I'm wondering if she thought it might make a nice "silky". Make him something else, and edge it with satin, or some of the blocks satin.

A nice quilt throw (for gentle use) could be made from the silk dress. I would consider covering each section of silk dress used with tulle now, as you make the quilt, rather than as a proventive later, so as it disentigrates it is held together/ protected.
Could you use an iron on interfacing perhaps to stabilize it?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:36 AM

That is some of the loveliest embroidered silk fabric I've ever seen! I would suggest that she seriously rethink using it as a quilt for a child and instead consider preserving it as an exquisite wallhanging.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:05 AM

I wouldn't want mold on my childs quilt.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:56 AM

This could be hand washed gently - maybe once. Others have mentioned that silk is fragile - it is also very very light sensitive. The sun exposure from a sunny window for a few months could ruin it, even if the child were never allowed to touch it.

I have had amazing results with ink jet printer on fabric. You could get modern silk in that red color, and print copies of the best embroidery motifs onto cotton ink jet fabric. This would make a replica quilt which would be stunning AND much more sturdy. (caution: new silk + ink jet printing will be costly!)

Anyway, a 4 year old might prefer train or bulldozers or animals on a cotton quilt.

The small purple bits would be perfect for wedding ring pillows or a tiny Mandarin-style baby jacket.
http://www.goodorient.com/images/T/GEF1033_100.jpg
Old 10-13-2011, 02:17 PM

The fabric is just beautiful. If she should put something behind glass, mention to her glass has tons of acid in it and will eat the fabric up.