Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need Advice concerning Flannel

Need Advice concerning Flannel

I have several pieces of good quality flannel I purchased for a baby quilt that never got made. (The intended recipient never knew about it so no hard feelings-except my self directed Lectures, which is tiresome when I don't listen to myself...) I have a friend who is looking forward to her first Grandbaby, and if it is a girl I want to use this flannel. My question is do I need to prewash it if none of it has been washed? I've used flannel with cotton and double or triple prewashed that. I'm wondering if prewashing is neccessary if the baby quilt is going to be all flannel. Thanks for your advice!
    “Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest”~Jesus

I always pre-wash flannel. It shrinks a lot and you are never sure how much and which direction.

Wash and dry flannel.....it does SHRINK!
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

Flannel is the only fabric I will consistently prewash. I use the hottest setting on my washer and dryer. Want to be sure it does any shrinking before I cut.

I, too, would wash flannel. Granted, I'm a pre-washer to begin with but even if not, I'd surely wash flannel. It does shrink far more than traditional cotton due to the looseness of the weave - even good/high quality flannel. Just it's nature.

I also always pre-wash flannel because it usually shrinks more than regular cotton and I want that done before making the quilt.

Yes, definitely. It will probably shrink more in one direction than the other.

Power Poster
    Okay I am going to go against the norm. If it had a cotton top and flannel back I would prewash. If the baby quilt is going to be all flannel and you don't have a fabric that is a bleeder ( check with a small piece) I wouldn't pre-wash.
    If you wash before you might get pills or very wrinkled fabric to work with.Do you want to know if the flannel is going to pill before using it? That's your call but I like a nice new looking flannel quilt for gifting and then include washing instructions with it.

If you wanted to do a rag quilt, don't pre-wash, otherwise, I would definitely pre-wash the fabrics.

Okay, Tartan brought up a good point. My only concern would be that the quilt might end up being only 3/4 of the size you started with.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Yes, I would wash it, I always wash flannel first and make sure you use 1/2 seams.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I prewash all my fabrics. I especially wash flannel. I don't buy expensive fabrics and find I don't have as many problems with it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I prewash everything. Flannel shrinks so I would definitely wash and dry that.

Only for flannel, I prewash 3 times. That way, you have taken care of the shrinkage.

Even though the flannel is good quality, it may well shrink at different rates. I would definitely prewash.

Even though you bought a good quality flannel it will shrink and some flannels shrink more than others. If you want consistent shrinkage throughout, I would prewash. Ironing your finished quilt will make it look "new" again for gifting unless you want the comfy snuggly look.

shrinkage and pilling are the two reasons I always prewash flannel. I would never want a gift to pill.
    jean

I always was flannel because of the shrinkage factor but also want to make sure it turns out soft and nice, no pilling, etc. Also wash before making a rag quilt with it, I like to be sure what I'm working with. With that said, I love to use flannel and often use it for backing. Most of the time it washes up nicely, but have had a couple that I didn't use in the end.

I'll also be an odd ball here. I have not washed any flannel if it is used front & back. I have only had 1 piece of red that bled & tinted the cream next to it pinkish.

Hmmm, many good points. Because neither the grandmother or mom would tend to be careful "washers" I think I had better prewash and head off any potential disasters. Thanks for all the great advice!
    “Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest”~Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    I always pre-wash flannel. It shrinks a lot and you are never sure how much and which direction.
    I agree. It is the only time I do pre-wash is my flannel. Since I don't have a washer/dryer any longer, I asked a friend to pre-wash a quilting backing.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I am not a prewasher but I do wash flannel (especially when it is a flannel back to a cotton top). I have had expensive brand name pieces from the same line shrink differently so even if the top is all flannel I would probably prewash.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

I never prewash flannel whether it has a cotton top or is all flannel. I've never had any problem after they were washed, but then again, I like that crinkly look. Also, it just seems to me that once they're quilted, it stabilizes the fabric.