Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need advice on how to outline picture in panel

Ditto!.I've done many, many panels as ArtsyOne suggests and had great results. The key is to have the back and the batting really smooth and pinned down. froggyintexas
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    I've tried quilting around shapes using a hopping foot and the feed dogs down, but it required a lot of concentration and the stitches were definitely not as I would have liked - some were long, some were short. Since the cats are large and they have long straight edges, I would definitely use a regular foot with the feed dogs up and just sew slowly while turning the quilt when necessary.

Blog Entries
    For thread, perhaps black around the cats and the bowl if it's black and then maybe a variegated orange thread around the orange objects including the rectangular panels. Just my opinion. I'm a variegated thread gal when quilting both front and back usually so get other opinions or strike out on your own.
    Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Again, thanks for all the help. I am going to practice with my feed dogs up and a regular foot and see how that feels. I need to figure out what fabric I want to use for the back, but think I better practice first on something that doesn't matter

Dina

I think if I were quilting that panel, I would do the 1/4" outline or SID of each seperate section, square or rectangular and skip trying to detail the cats and flowers. If your batting requires closer quilting, then I'd pick one or two items in each frame to outline, rather than trying to do everything. It's a great panel!!!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

cute panel--good luck!

What kind of machine do you have? Some machines have a walking foot, which might work, but there are a lot of curves. The curves mean you probably want to have the feed dogs down and do FMQ as a simple echo quilting around each curved area and a straight line quilting for the straight edges.

I agree with HillCountryGal - the quilt is gorgeous and I too would hand quilt it.
    Anniehug

Quote Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
    What kind of machine do you have? Some machines have a walking foot, which might work, but there are a lot of curves. The curves mean you probably want to have the feed dogs down and do FMQ as a simple echo quilting around each curved area and a straight line quilting for the straight edges.
    I sew on a Pfaff, which does have a walking foot. Whatever I end up doing, I certainly plan to practice first. I don't want to end up messing this up.

Dina

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2