Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice machine binding cut too short >

Need advice machine binding cut too short

Need advice machine binding cut too short

Old 12-14-2019, 04:37 AM

Default Need advice machine binding cut too short

This may have been asked before but I didn't see it.
I was trying to do my machine binding and I am new to quilting. I have successfully done binding this way twice. However this time I accidentally cut it to short. Or maybe got my measurements off (Not sure)
Due to this I couldn't sew the rest down without having a lot of noticeable bunch on the actual blanket.
So my question is what would be the best best way of fixing this issue?
I do have extra fabric and I have 1 idea. I'm just not to sure on how to go about it.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

since you have extra fabric, cut a longer strip and attach it to the original binding end on the diagonal. even if you didn't have extra of the same fabric, sometimes adding a contrasting/coordinating color is a nice 'pop' in the quilt.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:41 AM

Trust me, it happens all the time to quilters.

Take out the stitching so you can fill in with another piece of binding. Try to make the joins so they are spaced out on the edge you are working on. Generally, a join is better in the bottom 1/3 edge and not on the exact center of the edge.

I work the final join of the binding into the lower left 1/3 of quilt edge as the eye typically travels left to right.

Here is the join method I use for binding. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BT1pl_IolE
Old 12-14-2019, 06:12 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]620895[/ATTACH]
This is what I did. My stich pick seems to be missing and I got frustrated. So I had cut it more. Would sewing the extra fabric onto it still look ok?
*added as I forgot to mention.
I'm not sure if there is different ways of machine binding. What is pictured is the back of the quilt. I have used all the same materials before and this method worked. I'm not sure how I had messed it up. I was sewing it onto the back I measured out the 2 and a half in. Then was going to sew on the front. Maybe I measured wrong.
This is supposed to be a Christmas present so I have been getting frustrated really easy. Maybe that is also the issue.
Attached Thumbnails 20191214_080335%7E2.jpg  

Last edited by DogsAREtheBEST; 12-14-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

I sew more binding to the end to make it as long as needed.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

From your photo I'd say it's completely fixable!
Just insert that other piece.
Binding doesn't show that much. It's a very small part of the quilt. I'm betting they won't even notice it.
Just be sure not to leave any raw edges in the seams and you're good to go.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

if measurements of your quilt say cut 6 strips, i cut 7. one must sew them all together and that takes up inches. I've done my joining different ways over the years. main thing is, to join them. either by stitching them together on angle, same way as you make your binding. or ending by slipping one end into the other. the other one should be folded on that angle before slipping other end inside. then sew as usual and flip over and finish. Take it slow and get to that finish line.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:00 AM

I think the formula for amount of binding needed is 2 X length of quilt plus 2 X width of quilt Plus 10 extra inches for the amount of binding it takes to square the corners and join at the end....I usually cut width of fabric and round up so sometimes I have almost 40 inches of binding left which I save in an "extra binding" box. sometimes I join these odd binding ends together to use on a scrap quilt, or for a smaller project or just iron them out flat again for 2.5 inch strips as I always cut my binding that size.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

If you have enough fabric, unpick a length and put in a longer section.....or use a short section of the binding fabric but embroider the pattern name/date as a label and attach it like you meant to do it.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:04 AM

Thank you everyone! I will try to fix it later tonight. I appreciate the advice speedy answers! I will try to comment a picture after