Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on Notions >

Need advice on Notions

Need advice on Notions

Old 01-10-2011, 10:57 AM

Many people have mentioned a good pair of scissors, but in addition to having a good scissors is making sure they STAY good - and that means never, never, NEVER use them, or let anyone else use them for ANYTHING but fabric! I have had to be a scissors witch when it comes to anyone using my scissors for even one snip of paper. It really ruins them for fabric use!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:03 AM

So true!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
Many people have mentioned a good pair of scissors, but in addition to having a good scissors is making sure they STAY good - and that means never, never, NEVER use them, or let anyone else use them for ANYTHING but fabric! !
Old 01-10-2011, 11:30 AM

a good pair of scissors that you only use to cut material , some extra sewing machine needles, various colors of thread
Old 01-10-2011, 11:33 AM

Some have put a lock on their scissors. When I still had kids at home I kept all my notions in a locked toolbox.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:52 AM

I agree my most have notion is the Bernina #830!!!

Originally Posted by fabricmaniac
Originally Posted by CoventryUK
All notions are "must haves" aren't they?????? or is that just me???
I'm so happy you've realized this! It's just like... it's necessary to have 125 extra golf balls! I won't deny myself a single thing, except for the new Bernina #830!! I did an introduction class using it all day, and I cried all the way home! It is incredible. I already have 2 Berninas and they will have to do!!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
I'm trying to obtain the basic notions to begin quilting. So far, I have: rotary cutter, 18x24 self healing mat, 6x18 acrylic ruler, 6.5x6.5 square template and some circle templates. What should be my next purchases?

TIA!!!
If you are going to pin baste your quilts together, I suggest a grapefruit spoon (jagged edge to cut the grapefruit). It will save your fingers plenty when you are pinning/sandwiching your quilt. Use the spoon instead of your fingers to help you get the fabric onto the pin and then close the pin.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by wb3efq
For those who do their own quilting I found the greatest little tool for pulling those pesky threads back into the batting. It is called "Snag Magic" and the only place I found it was Nancy's Notions. I bought them for all my quilting group for Christmas
Those things are simply AMAZING!

However you can also get them from the manufactor in single packs they have another one called sewfast that has a smaller plastic eye on it. http://snagmagic.com/purchase.php

This would be easier than the thread going both directions through the eye of the needle method I am using. lol same concept though.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:51 PM

My favorite tool is from "Quilt in a day"...it's the square for 1/2 sq. triangles. Squares from 1 1/2" to 6 1/2". You can't believe the difference it makes in a quilt!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:23 PM

Ask at your local quilt store. They will be happy to give you some free advice!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:25 PM

You will want a 12 1/2" square for squaring up your blocks. Purchase good thread, not the stuff that will leave a lot of lint around your bobbin case. A good pair of small scissors is nice. Try them out to get a feel for the ones you like. They can be expensive but it will be well worth it. Maybe a good present for you? you might want a 120" tape measure for calculating boarders. It is easier and the standard 60" & remember those tape measurers stretch so if you have an old one, buy a new one, they are inexpensive! I like the orange and yellow tape for the rulers to mark my cutting line. A must for me was the little sandpaper circles that you put on the corners of your rulers to keep them from sliding around. They are peel and stick, cheap and easy to replace when they wear down. My favorite notion! Don't forget a good seam ripper for "unsewing!"