Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on Notions >

Need advice on Notions

Need advice on Notions

Old 01-10-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Some have put a lock on their scissors. When I still had kids at home I kept all my notions in a locked toolbox.
Amen! If that cute little darling in your avatar is yours, then I'd be going for a sewing room with a door as #1. If that's out, then the locking toolbox for the rotary cutter, pins, seam ripper, scissors, anything that a child could in your wildest imagination stick themselves with.
You've got the basics. Just add fabric.
You can get notions as you go depending on your need and style of quilting.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Toddy
The address for Ginger is: Ginger, Inc. 322-D Edwardia Drive Greensboro, N.C. 27409. You must send 7.50 with you scissors and they recomend that you insure you shipment. They will pay postage to return you scisors to you.
Would that be Gingher, instead of Ginger????
Old 01-10-2011, 09:15 PM

Ditto on the seam ripper and a good pair of sewing scissors-- DON'T let anyon use them for anything else. Some good pins, and the blue painter's tape. I also have started using Elmer's school glue.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
My personal rule is to buy notions when you need them not in anticipation of using them. I have a box full of never used stuff. That is after you get the basic as you have mentioned.
Such as: Somthing to measure with, cut with and sew with and of course to iron with.
I wish I had made that rule a long time ago. :hunf: I have so many notions that I've never used. :oops:
Old 01-11-2011, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by amorerm
Originally Posted by bluteddi
I agree... unforunately my seam ripper gets about as much use as my machine.....sigh
:thumbup: Sad but true. However, one positive thought....Every time you have to rip you "know you've learned a valuable lesson".
I don't know.....I've been know to rip and resew the same mistake! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Old 01-11-2011, 01:28 AM

I agree with sewcrafty. my shape cut is the only one I would fight anyone for!!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 01:32 AM

of course it is not just you!! it is like a pot or a pan that you only use once a yearLOL. when you need it you need it and that is my story and I am sticking to it!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
There's a gadget called the "purple thang" that is akin to a stilleto. It's plastic so it won't hurt your machine when trying to catch the bobbin thread, guide fabric, etc.

Everyone else's suggestions are great so can't add more for notions. But, (isn't there always a "but" :-) )one of hte handiest things I have is a tool holder from Joann's. It's canvas, about 6" x 8" x 8" tall, and has lots of pockets. I keep it right nesxt to the machine so I can easily grab those tweezers, screw driver, little brush, etc.

Oh, my DDIL gave me one of the bags for Christmas. I immediately emptied 5 mugs and put everything in it and still have room. I've got to get a Purple Thang and I keep forgetting about it. I think I really need to work on my rulers since I only have 2. I'm getting such great ideas here!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949
Tia, I'm a fairly new quilter, so I just bought many of these items. I took lessons from a very talented lady who has been quilting a long time. She recommended the following:
Sewing machine, 18 X 24 or 24 X 36 inch mat, 45 mm rotary cutter, extra blades, extra needles for your sewing machine, good cotton thread (no polyester), good straight pins (she recommended Clover glass head pins, seam ripper, rulers that are accurate and be sure to buy all the same brand as they sometimes measure differently (she recommended Omnigrid), pin cushion, "betweens" needles if you're going to hand quilt and a hoop. Then, to begin a simple pattern like a Turning Twenty or simple nine patch and good 100% cotton fabric. Start simple and gain confidence. I also use the www.about.com site for much information. She's a friend and does a great job with info. There are many helpful sites online for beginners as well.
Don't get discouraged, keep practicing and practicing. You'll become addicted so quick!! Good Luck!

I know about the 9 Patch. I just watch a video for the Disappearing 9 Path that looks easy. But I don't know what the Turning Twenty pattern is. Do you have a link for it? So far the rulers I have are Omnigrid.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:01 AM

I would also recommend a variety of pencils.. #2 graphite, white quilters, silver quilters.. and a few Micron sakura markers.. they are great for marking where you need a permanent line or for writing labels and come in a variety of colors and widths and they are archival and will not harm fabrics. And some template plastic and extra fine sharpies for marking on them. You might want to do some applique or hand piecing and those things come in VERY handy
Then a good notebook that zips shut and some plastic sheet protectors.. these are great for storing "project ideas" or quilt block patterns and templates. I have 2, working on 3 and they are a wonderful resource for me.
I have patterns from 20 years ago that are not available any more.