Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on what to put in middle of rag quilt >

Need advice on what to put in middle of rag quilt

Need advice on what to put in middle of rag quilt

Old 10-02-2019, 07:05 AM

The nice thing about using flannel in the middle instead of batting is that you can cut flannel squares the same size as the outer squares. Adds to the fringe, which can also add a touch of color if desired.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:29 AM

I love rag quilts. Rather than quilting the x, I quilted different things like a moon, stars and various shapes. Just a thought.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

We have made many denim raggedy quilts. Sometimes denim on both sides, sometimes with flannel- even a couple favorites with corduroy backs. I always put batting inside my squares sometimes a layer of inexpensive muslin too- it just adds a bit more to the chenille edges. I generally use 10” squares but I’ve seen many made with 6” they turn out nice- are just a lot more work.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
The nice thing about using flannel in the middle instead of batting is that you can cut flannel squares the same size as the outer squares. Adds to the fringe, which can also add a touch of color if desired.
I agree with that idea of putting flannel in the middle and just what you said about the fact that I can cut all squares the same versus cutting batting a bit smaller. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:52 AM

I have made 3 rag quilts with denim and I do not put anything at all in the middle of the blocks. I made twin sized quilts and they are incredibly heavy and warm. And take forever to dry.

I did not sew an Z across the blocks either. It is not necessary, as you do not have to hold anything in place.

I used 1 inch seam allowances on 2 of the 3.

There is no 'too small'. I went with the largest block I could reasonably get out the jeans I was working with. I opened the non flat felled seam. I cut blocks to incorporate the felled seam, pockets and other design features. I had squares cut out of plexiglass at the local glass shop.

I used 6 inch squares and 8 inch squares, these finished at 4 inches and 6 inches as I used 1 inch seam allowance.

You can use two sizes of squares in your quilt and intersperse some 4 patch blocks.

Stretch denim is harder to work with, but I had some funky colours in it and used it too.

2 of the quilts I sewed with the denim to the back, one with it to the front. The two with it to the back were meant to be picnic quilts, so they would be on the ground. The one with the denim to the front was a cuddle quilt, so it had the soft flannel on the body side.

Save your hands and buy spring loaded snips. After the first quilt I bought these and it was much easier to do the snipping. The snipping is messy.

When I washed to fluff up the seams, I used my top loading washer, prewash cycle (does not drain the machine) and used an old colander to scoop out the bits. It is amazing how much you can scoop out. If you are on septic, do not wash at home. Your septic system will thank you.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:31 AM

Thank you Tothill about the idea of getting a pair spring loaded snips. I went down to the JoAnn's here and they had Fiskar sewing items on sale so I purchased a pair. I think I will be happy I did as I plan on making rag quilts for all 5 of my grandchildren
Old 10-12-2019, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I am starting to make a rag quilt out of old denim jeans and I am questioning myself of what to put in the middle. I have flannel along with the denim jeans but not sure what to use in middle. I had planned on using squares of W&N but someone told me that is too heavy. Then a friend showed me her rag quilt that she didn't put anything in the middle and said it has no warmth at all. Now I am confused?!!
Also-what size would be good to cut the jean squares? I have read that I need to take a 1/2" seam allowance and I have cut some denim already at 6 1/2" squares-is that too small?
I am looking forward to any suggestions and advice from anyone that has mastered a nice rag quilt
<dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px; color: rgb(54, 47, 45); font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(252, 250, 240);">
I really enjoy making rag quilts in spite of all that snipping you must do. I made up to now a whole bunch of them mostly in cotton flannel with quilting cotton for some detailed patchwork shapes set within a all 100 percent cotton flannel front and back block. All are only 2 layers thick as we both reside in the Southwestern part of the United States. They prove to be plenty warm and much easier to sew and wash in even our home washer (we have no dryer-we hang outside). Each quilt has the added benefit of protecting the user from cold draft as my residence is a almost 100 years old complete
with uncaulked windows, lots of small holes even on the floors here and there. </dd><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px; color: rgb(54, 47, 45); font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(252, 250, 240);">
I have only made 1 small denim (jean) rag quilt and I still use it on my mother's bed. It has survived a rough beating with the pets, old age issues like incontinence, and being dragged about at times by both pets or her own forgetfulness. I'm sure yours will do as well as mine have done with some careful considerations built in during planning & construction.

I sewed the background patchwork as small as 1" square (minus seam allowances) and had no problems if I use at the very least 1/2 inch seams (never anything smaller). I prefer and mostly use 1 inch seam allowance and went a bit further than that as my last quilt had around 1 1/2 inch huge seam allowances for a change in it's looks. I actually liked it a bit more than the others even though it used far more fabric than even the 1 inch seams ones blocks do. I liked that super stand out effect after it's fluffing out of the seam allowances after machine washing & machine drying at the local laundromat. I never wash the newly made or even newer rag quilts at home until it goes through several cycles at the laundromat. Even newer houses have to protect their pipes from getting clogged. Going to the laundromat does this even though you have to pay upfront. Far better & cheaper there than calling the plumber later!

If you have an question or need to choose which way to proceed in sewing up your quilt this is what I do: make a sample or prototype. I sew a sample block or unit of the design I have in mind. I make sure to do everything I plan to do to the blocks and the actual seam allowance I chose to use. I run through a wash/dry cycle and see how it looks. Then I either use the construction techniques that I used in that sample prototype block with the exact seam allowances intended for the quilt. Never failed me and actually saved me lots of money as I know it will work the way I want it to before even cutting into the fabric. The sample block does not go into waste as I use it as a "keepsake" to show people how the actual quilt looks and feels without taking a large quilt everywhere with me!
</dd><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px; color: rgb(54, 47, 45); font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(252, 250, 240);">

</dd>

Last edited by Iona D.; 10-12-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:09 AM

Thank you Iona D. for your advice and information. I have about 40 blocks already made and I am so anxious to get them sewn together and get my new spring loaded snipers out to start cutting the edges. I live in northern Arizona and it gets pretty chilly up here so thought the extra flannel in the middle of the blocks would add some warmth.