Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need advise regarding my MIL >

need advise regarding my MIL

need advise regarding my MIL

Old 04-01-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by belmer
This is very generous and thoughtful of you to make this quilt for your Husbands Grandmother in the nursing home, but If she doesn't remember you, how will she remember You made the quilt for her? ( that may not be as important.) Also Please be sure to put her name on it in bold letters on the back when you label it. I made my own grandmother a beautiful quilt and some one stole it from her room. To this day I think it was one of the staff people who worked there. Also make sure you or your MIL take it home to be washed, do not let the nursing home take it to their laundry service. Good Luck to you on this wonderful gift for her.
I agree completely, and having worked in long term care facilites , the point of having her name on it and taking it home for washing is best. If you can some how incorperate her name into a block , it will also help it to stay with her. I would also recommend a flannel back as it helps to keep it from slipping off the bed so easily.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:00 PM

This is very generous and thoughtful of you to make this quilt for your Husbands Grandmother in the nursing home, but If she doesn't remember you, how will she remember You made the quilt for her? ( that may not be as important.) Also Please be sure to put her name on it in bold letters on the back when you label it. I made my own grandmother a beautiful quilt and some one stole it from her room. To this day I think it was one of the staff people who worked there. Also make sure you or your MIL take it home to be washed, do not let the nursing home take it to their laundry service. Good Luck to you on this wonderful gift for her.
I know what you mean, MIL has already told me she hopes it doesn't get stolen. I am thinking of the heart ache I am going to have when it does. If I make this more of a business transaction, meaning I get to keep the left overs to add to my stash, it may not hurt so much. I am very attached to my quilts I am sure someone can understand that.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:04 PM

K. I was misunderstanding the question.

Buy the fabric according to the directions. The "scraps" are yours to keep. Still ask MIL her opinion on the colors.

And...she's lonely. It's not that she needs help, she needs attention. Which is a whole 'nother topic. ;)[/quote]

I am taking MIL with me to Joanns to buy the fabric, and your right she's lonely, but thats her fault. She'd still be married if she wasn't such a b......., even DH says so.

anytime she starts a sentence out with "LISTEN, ...... we cring
Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 PM

Let her buy the fabric requirements. You'll have it for yourself or even a pillowcase. You're doing the work so reap some benefit other than a good feeling if you are putting other projects on the back burner. It wouldn't be wrong. We even occassionally make a mistake and do end needing more!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 PM

I think a lap quilt would be nice, if shes up in a wheelchair it would cover her legs, also sometimes in nursing homes things disapear. use what you have add an extra border.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

I would have her buy the amount of fabric the pattern calls for.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:10 PM

There is no reason in the world why you should not be able to keep the extra fabrics. After all it is YOUR time that you are putting forth in making this quilt. Just relax and have a fun time with it, This is what quilting is all about.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I agree completely, and having worked in long term care facilites , the point of having her name on it and taking it home for washing is best. If you can some how incorperate her name into a block , it will also help it to stay with her. I would also recommend a flannel back as it helps to keep it from slipping off the bed so easily.
What a good idea. My Mom is going to a facility soon and I am going to be working on a quilt for her bed. The thought to add her name never occured to me.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:16 PM

I plan on FMQ her name in it in several places. Its my biggest fear that it will disappear.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by mimom

I am taking MIL with me to Joanns to buy the fabric, and your right she's lonely, but thats her fault. She'd still be married if she wasn't such a b......., even DH says so.
Oh yeah....don't get me wrong...it's not your job or (DH's) to be her everything. It's much more pleasant for you if you just know where it's at with her and set your limits. :D

Shoot...she's still married? She's GOT someone to change a no-ladder-required bulb!