Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need advise regarding my MIL >

need advise regarding my MIL

need advise regarding my MIL

Old 04-01-2011, 12:19 PM

definately buy, what is called for, the left over is urs...
Old 04-01-2011, 12:22 PM

get what the pattern calles for you may have som mistakes and dont whant to have to go back and try to find more i usualy get a bit extra just in case of mistakes. and its normal for the person making the quilt to keep scraps.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Originally Posted by mimom

I am taking MIL with me to Joanns to buy the fabric, and your right she's lonely, but thats her fault. She'd still be married if she wasn't such a b......., even DH says so.
Oh yeah....don't get me wrong...it's not your job or (DH's) to be her everything. It's much more pleasant for you if you just know where it's at with her and set your limits. :D

Shoot...she's still married? She's GOT someone to change a no-ladder-required bulb!
her husband left her several years ago. She is quite bossy and demanding. If she doesn't get her way, she will act like a child and not talk to you, she will even have someone sitting right next to you ask you a question for her. Totally rediculous
Old 04-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

Oh boy, it is hard. From being a volunteer I would tell you to make sure there are textures, like stick in a corduroy. If she has dimensia (spelling looks wrong), well I find those patients will follow the quilting lines, enjoy the fabrics, and rub on different textures. Do high contrast. You don't need fancy but if she use to have flowers, lots of flower blocks would be great. She will enjoy them.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:48 PM

I would say buy what the pattern calls for and don't forget the thread. The thread can cost almost as much as the fabric. Please don't look at it that you are doing this for your MIL look at it that it's going to your DH Grandmother it will make it much easier to work on.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:30 PM

Is there someone else that could make this quilt? I'm getting the feeling that you'd rather not be put in the middle of this?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:13 PM

Let your MIL shop from your stash. make a lap size quilt or a Nap size that is about 65 x75. Remenber that you are making this for your DH's grandmother not only your MIL's mother. Make this lut of the kindness of you heart! Try to keep it as cheap as possible since you said that your MIL does not have a lot of money. Also even though someone may not be able to recogonize you or acknowledge that you are there they know when some one that loves them is near. the quilt made with love will comfort her.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:24 PM

Just get what the pattern calls for. You never know, there might be a mistake in the amounts or there might be a mistake in cutting or something.... it's been known to happen!

Anything left over is for your use.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:40 PM

buy what is called for. what is extra is extra. otherwise you'll have to spend time cutting extra carefully and what if you make a goof? a yard or two should not break the bank or your MIL would buy a cheapy quilt for her mother
Old 04-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

Isn't this your husband's grand mother? Why not make her a quilt like your MIL suggested and give it to grandma? Make it quick and simple with items on hand. Who cares if she knows you or not.