Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need advise >

need advise

need advise

Old 08-31-2013, 02:10 AM

I quilted one T-shirt quilt with an allover meander, even over the vinyl images. Where possible, I avoided quilting over the vinyl images, but for evenness of quilting design, it was sometimes necessary to quilt over some of the images. The only one which was difficult to stitch through was a Disney image which was done in a thick vinyl.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:35 AM

I totally agree with MadQuilter. Quilting closer is better than farther, especially if the quilt would be washed. You don't want the batting either coming apart or bunching

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I generally use W&N batting but I always quilt closer than the recommended maximum distance. Your blocks look to be about 12" which is too wide to leave unquilted. Even at 10" I wouldn't like the center piece to "flop" around. Since your blocks have pictures, you could quilt each block to capture the picture outline of the T-shirt message.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:45 AM

I agree with this. I like the idea of striaght line stitching - use blue painters tape to help keep the lines straight. You also could use a wavy design.
Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
My advice for a beginner is that stitch in the ditch is more difficult than doing rows of straight stitching over the quilt. If you feel worried about the lines you could do a serpentine stitch across each block many times. It will look good on the soft of blocks that you have.