Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need advise >

need advise

need advise

Old 08-27-2013, 06:55 PM

This is my first quilt; my other quilting expeerience has only been pot holders, placemats, and small table runners. I was thinking the same thing with an X through each block, but wasn't quite sure on that. Thanks for your kind comments and a BIG thank you to all that have responded to this thread. You have all been most helpful.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:39 AM

My advice for a beginner is that stitch in the ditch is more difficult than doing rows of straight stitching over the quilt. If you feel worried about the lines you could do a serpentine stitch across each block many times. It will look good on the soft of blocks that you have.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:10 AM

I was told by my LAQ that t-shirt quilts should only be quilted with a large meander
Old 08-29-2013, 06:28 AM

I love your quilt. Is the border cut on the bias? I want to put a plaid border on a quilt but on the bias and am mulling that over in my mind, how to keep it from stretching.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:46 AM

I have done a number of T-shirt quilts and had all of them quilted with an allover design that would be meaningful to the recipient. The thread we used was neutral and blended into the background. I've used everything from dragonflies to geckos and hearts and flowers. A meander would work too. SITD is way too hard!
Old 08-29-2013, 08:39 PM

I appreciate all of your comments. No, I am NOT adept at FMQ. I have only just started quilting. My STID is usually right next to the seam, usually about 1/16" away. I am not sure what the sepentine stitch is. And to answer gmcsewr's question; no, the border is not cut on the bias. The fabric is printed on the diagonal. As for a plaid border, I cannot help you there, but I have found that a lot of starch helps on the bias cuts. I learned that from reading here on the Quilting Board.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:42 PM

I would probably do the X or a large grid (2" or so) in each block. I don't do FMQ.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:10 PM

You really don't want my advise on quilting but your quilt is awesome. Nice job!
Old 08-30-2013, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
Beautiful quilt! If you're not adept at FMQ, I'd suggest capturing the logos or words in a "box" - i.e. draw a square box around the Eastern Illinois, or a rectangular box around the three triangles in the black square. That would at least hold the batting down. You could try quilting an "X" through the center of each block, but I'm always hesitant about quilting through any vinyl-type logos. I've done many t-shirt quilts and vinyl logos never sew well (although there will be others who say they don't have a problem with it). But if your quilt has no vinyl logos, doing an X through each block would be sufficient. Good luck!
I agree with cindi. I've made several t-shirt quilts. Because of the difficulty in stitchng over the logos, I've ended up stitching in the ditch around the sashings, then hand quilting around the logos. One one of my quilts I did some tying also. I've read about the teflon foot. Also saw it used on one of the quilting shows a long time ago. Lately I've purchased a teflon foot and have not yet tried it. Good luck. Your quilt top is beautiful.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:57 PM

I made 3 t-shirt quilts in memory of my daughter. I sent one to a LA quilter who did an overall design of basketballs and stars that was fitting for my daughter. It turned out great.