Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need assistance on quilt color choice >

need assistance on quilt color choice

need assistance on quilt color choice

Old 04-13-2023, 11:20 AM

Default need assistance on quilt color choice

design-board.jpg up-close-block.jpg
I am making a "couch quilt" with a St Patrick's theme fabric...see pics. I have the blocks turned on point on my design board. What colors would you suggest for the "blank" (white area on design board) block area without it looking too busy? I was thinking every other block in black and every other block a gold color? would love your opinions please, I am at a loss what to do. TIA
Old 04-13-2023, 12:04 PM

I kind of like this idea - it matches the green checks in some of the clovers. I think it would make the clovers stand out more.
Green Check Fabric You can probably find it at a lot of local fabric stores. I just put in a search for green check fabric.

Old 04-13-2023, 01:09 PM

I would audition with both those colors to see if you like them. I think it would be a little busy for me, but you may like it just fine. 😉
Old 04-13-2023, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

Not what you have been thinking ... but I like the fresh spring look of the white in those in-between blocks!

With the plain white, you could have fun with green thread for the quilting, which would tone down the stark white look. Or if you did not want a plain white, you might be able to find something that "reads" white but has some of the green in it.

To me, black blocks would give a very dark quilt. And depending on the gold colour, they may just jump out too much over and above the black and greens.

You're inspiring me, as I have had St. Paddy's fabrics bought for a few years now, and just have never got around to it!
Old 04-13-2023, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

I like the white as a background.

Maybe a lighter green or pale gray solid or a print that reads as a solid?
Old 04-13-2023, 01:28 PM

gray is always good and the gold too. love gold!
Old 04-13-2023, 03:56 PM

You could do a lighter green print where the white is. Then add a gold border. I think it needs some gold somewhere.

Or maybe do an alternate block with a gold square in the middle, surrounded by a black border.
Old 04-14-2023, 12:32 AM

I think orange would be a great color to really make it pop, or white if you want it more subdued, fun fabric.
Old 04-14-2023, 01:12 AM

I would look for a small print on white or just white on white. You can quilt a shamrock on each plain block!
Old 04-14-2023, 02:34 AM

For what I see in the pictures, the blocks read "dark". I like the white so, if you are wanting gold in there somewhere, I'd go with a light shade of gold maybe. But perhaps use white on white. If you think it is too stark, how about ecru on ecru for your alternating blocks and put a first border of gold. I hope you have enough of the clovers for the outer border.