Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Cleaning Advice for Vintage Quilt Blocks >

Need Cleaning Advice for Vintage Quilt Blocks

Need Cleaning Advice for Vintage Quilt Blocks

Old 12-14-2016, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Thanks... I knew there was something. Any suggestions where to buy it?
my LQS will get it for me--you can get a packet for just one use, or a "jar" that will do several quilts. I had some blocks bought at an estate sale that were 30's-50's fabrics with white ( bowties) and the whites were so yellow that some looked almsot tan--I put the blocks together and basted around the edge--figured if they didn't clean up I didn't want to take the time to quilt it. Well, used Restoration for the first time and WOW! Whites were white and the colors were even amazing too. So I've used it on 2 of my SIL's antique quilts from her g-ma that were YELLOW with nicotine--came out wonderful. If your LQS can't get it, check Lil Red Hen Quilt Shop, Paola KS---she does internet orders.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:21 PM
Power Poster

Seems like $26 is the magic number. Orvis, Restore, and Retro Clean all cost $26... plus shipping. What's up with that? Think I'll first try the cheap borax idea and see what happens. Thanks everyone!

Spent $3 apiece on 2 bags of vintage quilt blocks. Not going to spend another $35 to clean them!
Old 12-15-2016, 04:05 AM

To " tighten up" those dresdens, try taking in a seam or two, just a bit, til they lay flat. Just a thought.

presuming these are handpieced?
Old 12-15-2016, 04:52 AM

I put together a hand-pieced vintage GFG that was not so clean after the storing. I made the entire quilt and then washed it. Those old blocks and threads were stabilized with that process. I have Biz still in my stash and it did well. Soak and wash gently.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:30 AM

I bought some Dresden plate blocks at an estate sale recently. They were in great condition and already blanket stitched to the white backing, but the edges were not turned. The ladies at the gardenweb quilting forum suggested I use fray check on them, which I did. It took less than two hours to do 36 blocks, including getting up and spreading them all over the house to dry.

At another estate sale, I bought a Dresden plate quilt kit. I plan on using fusible backing and turning it rather than needle turning each edge. I watched a youtube video and it looks easier and lots faster than the other way. I'll still have to do the center, but that will be small compared with needle turning the whole thing.

jmo

bkay
Old 12-15-2016, 06:11 AM

I'm a lover of these older quilt pieces - have re-built several - one thing I have done is wash them on the gentle cycle and line dried, then pressed lightly. This isn't something I would use - I'd repair/clean/press and hang on the wall. The stains may never come out - in my view, they add to the character and age of the quilt.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:00 AM

Those look so much like the blocks I got from my Great-Great Grandmother. She made them in the early 30's from clothing from my grandmother, great-aunts, etc. On the advise of some people who deal with these items, after washing them with any of the products above, let them dry by putting them on the lawn. I know, wrong time of year for that for most of us! There's something in the grass that draws out the stains. Does that sound familiar to anyone?
Old 12-15-2016, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I'll still have to do the center, but that will be small compared with needle turning the whole thing.

jmo

bkay
Instead of needle turning the center, sew on a facing and then slit the center and turn right side out. Much easier!
Old 12-19-2016, 03:42 AM

I love Retro Clean. The small 1 lb pouch ($8.00) cleaned thirty Grandmother's Flower Garden blocks I bought at a tag sale, and two other small projects. It has a pleasant scent, not overpowering. Removed tons of dirt and stains. Items need to be submerged in a basin.Good luck!
Old 12-19-2016, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Thanks... couldn't find RetroClean so I just bought Borax and used that for a soak. TONS of dirt came out and blocks are very clean and bright.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice!