Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need encouragement. Cal King on home sewing machine >

Need encouragement. Cal King on home sewing machine

Need encouragement. Cal King on home sewing machine

Old 01-27-2011, 07:56 PM

I explained it badly MTS, you are right in your description and this is a pic I drew, not the best but I think you will get the idea, you quilt a quarter at a time, and then turn the quilt to the next quadrant.

Which is why I also suggested that you use a non directional stitch, I use the stipple as it is an obvious choice, well to me :oops:
Old 01-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Power Poster

Thank you!!!!! One of my kids and DH are using a lid from a plastic bucket to draw some basic lines on. I might start the actuall quilting tomorrow noon. Yeahhhh! The end is hopefully in sight.

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
I explained it badly MTS, you are right in your description and this is a pic I drew, not the best but I think you will get the idea, you quilt a quarter at a time, and then turn the quilt to the next quadrant.

Which is why I also suggested that you use a non directional stitch, I use the stipple as it is an obvious choice, well to me :oops:
Old 01-28-2011, 01:12 AM

Bunch...scrunch...pull and push! I do them on my Janome 6600 all the time, but, it is not for the weak of heart. I assume you'll be doing SID or are you planning to freemotion?
Old 01-28-2011, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Use the nest technique instead of rolling the quilt. It's always helped me overcome similar problems.

http://daystyledesigns.com/faq.htm#roll
Thanks for the site. It sounds like the way to go.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:53 AM

I have done a king size on a similar sized machine. One thing I found is that quilting gloves really help since you have a lot of weight to move around. I don't always wear gloves to quilt but they do help especiAlly with larger pieces.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

At this point I am planning to free motion a very basic pattern in each block. Think that is too ambitious?

Originally Posted by quilterella
Bunch...scrunch...pull and push! I do them on my Janome 6600 all the time, but, it is not for the weak of heart. I assume you'll be doing SID or are you planning to freemotion?
Old 01-28-2011, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

Oh definitely. I can't imagine not wearing quilting or gardening gloves. Debating if there is a way I can drop my machine in an old table or something. Got DH and DD helping me trying to get ready and set up.

Originally Posted by bjchad
I have done a king size on a similar sized machine. One thing I found is that quilting gloves really help since you have a lot of weight to move around. I don't always wear gloves to quilt but they do help especiAlly with larger pieces.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:25 AM

one thing I would do is either thread baste or pin baste - the spray baste stuff tends to slip and slide. I only use it for small things - placemats, table runners.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

you might also pin around the outside of the border. you will be handling it a lot and the basting doesn't hold well with being manipulated a lot. good luck. sounds like a project!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Keep bringing on the ideas! I am reading. Thanks!!!!!!

The quilt has sashing and blocks that are set on point so I am not sure how the three pieces of batting would have worked but I can sure see this for another quilt. Never thought of it and so simple.

I think I normally nest but was planning to roll this time so I will definitely need to read the nest technique.

Alas no friends with long arms and I have like $0 right now available to pay anyone. I think the Lord wants to humble me and have me do this one on the home machine.

I did opt for warm and natural over the 80/20 since I can quilt it every ten inches or so versus every four.

Thank you sofar for all the feedback.
Maybe you can find a person with a long arm to do your quilting in exchange for a quilt top.