Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Encouragement Please >

Need Encouragement Please

Need Encouragement Please

Old 11-20-2012, 04:31 PM

I would have thought after all those others that a bargello would have been a walk in the park. My advice would be take a break, take a walk, put it out of your mind then come back a day or two later with an open mind.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:24 PM

Baby steps.....baby steps. With all your previous accomplishments this should be do able. I felt the same way the first time I did a Judy Neiyermeyer paper pieced quilt. Maybe this isn't the best time of year for you with thanksgiving and Christmas almost here. Too many other distractions.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 PM

Everybody has encouraged you. I don't really think you need it, what you need is a kick in the but toward your sewing room. You know how to eat an elephant, so start chewing. And above all have FUN.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 PM

Take a breath, remember to mark everthing,the row number ,piece number and use a piece of paper to cover up all the rows you are not sewing on.Make a extra copy of the picture and use it to work from.I made a bargello and had a wonderful experience.I haven't made all the quilts you have yet. So go ahead, take your time and you will love working on a bargello! Organization and even seams are the key.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:43 PM

I find it helps me to take a highlighter and mark up the pattern with the key words or steps in yellow. Sometimes I make notes in the margins or put a star next to important directions. Go over he pattern twice then mark it up in your own way. You'll feel more comfortable with it when you know what to do next. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:08 AM

You CAN do it, just like all the other posters have said.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 AM

Remember the Little Engine that Could? book...I think I can, I think I can....
Old 11-21-2012, 08:48 AM

When I have trouble making sense of a pattern I have my hubby read it and show me what it means. Its worked for 38 years. Good luck and I KNOW you can do it .You seem to have a vast knowledge of quilting . So swallow your fear , give yourself a good positive talk and go get 'er done. Hugs
Old 11-21-2012, 01:45 PM

Diamond Jubilee Bargello went on my bucket list the first time I saw a picture of this quilt on this board, it is still on the list but I have done another Bargello a little less intimidating just to easy myself into it. They are only strips of fabric don't let them get the better of you. The key is to label everything you do and don't rush it. You can only sew one piece at a time so take it one instruction at a time. I layed my Bargello out on the floor so many times to check it before sewing. Google Diamond Jubilee Bargello Quilts and click on images, if the pictures there don't give you inspiration then the fact that so many people have made this quilt should convince you that you CAN do it. Do the little red engine trick, when you bought the pattern you obviously thought"I think I can", now when stitching think "I know I can, I know I can". And ofcourse we want to see pictures of your masterpiece when completed, because we know you WILL completed it.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:24 PM

As with anything, the key is taking it one step at a time, following the (important) drections and havng fun with it. If I could do half those quilts you have made, I'd be roaring tiger with any new pattern. LOL, smiles and hugsssssss and good luck with your new project! Can't wait to see it!