Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need full size  flag pattern for Hospice >

Need full size flag pattern for Hospice

Need full size flag pattern for Hospice

Old 09-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

It sounds like a wonderful thing to do but I wouldn't know where to start.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:27 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

There is a wonderful pattern I think by Minnick and (Simpson??) that makes a non-flag but similar quilt. The choice of fabric print, also Minnick's, makes the quilt!

Jan in VA
Old 09-27-2010, 04:58 PM

Oh that's a great idea.. I like that pattern as well.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:14 PM

A couple of things here,
1. why can't they use a flag as long as proper respect is shown,and 2. you may want to check about a quilt resembling a flag,many Vets see it as disrespect to the American Flag to use the flag pattern in things such as atricles of clothing etc,I'm sure Red White and Blue would be fine but maybe just not in a American flag design.
Please do not take offence,I think it is Very propper and respectful what you are doing,and I would certianly proceed. I just don't want you to go to all of this work and not be able to use them.
Let us know what you find out,and I have some patriotic fabric I will be willing to donate if you need some.
Thanks,
Rae Penn
Old 09-27-2010, 07:14 PM

I am a service veteran, and I do not understand why if he is a veteran it cannot be a real flag.
I know I can have a flag on my casket when I die.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
I am a service veteran, and I do not understand why if he is a veteran it cannot be a real flag.
You are right that there will be a flag on the casket if your family contacts Veteran's Affairs. You can also receive the flag even if you choose cremation vs. burial. Your family will also receive the Thank You for Your service letter from the government. My husband will be gone 2 years in December, and I have received 4 of these letters, some from President Bush and also from obama.
The question is whether it is appropriate for hospice to have flags they place over the veteran for the trip from their home to the funeral home. They can't use the same flag for both, and Hospice may have its' own policies. I don't have the answer to this question, but I hope to find out information and the reasons behind it in the morning.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
I feel the same as you, also I have been told it is illegal over here to make such a flag, wouldn't that apply in America too.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:39 AM

I got up early to check on DGS and change his "puh-wups" (pullups) (diaper), and had this image of the Flag Police arresting a coffin for illegal flag draping because someone did not apply to a proper agency.
What's the penalty, do you think.

I went to this site of the VA:
http://www.cem.va.gov/bbene/bflags.asp
Here is a paragraph:

"The law allows us to issue one flag for a Veteran's funeral. We cannot replace it if it is lost, destroyed, or stolen. However, some Veterans' organizations or other community groups may be able to help you get another flag."

This tells me the flag does not have to come from the VA.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:36 AM

I too am wondering why they can't/won't get a flag for each veterans passing? This is a customary procedure. Are they trying to save time by not requesting one? Not sure how long it takes to receive one....once requested and then the living family member can keep the flag as a memory. It is just too curious as to why they are approaching this the way they are. Having been to many veterans funerals with the flag drapped coffin I can't imagine anything but the real thing to honor the service of that person.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by angelwatcher
I was asked by a friend who works at our local Hospice center, if I could make a flag quilt that would cover a deceased veteran in transport from their home to the funeral home.
The drape they are looking for is not for the funeral or casket, it is only for transport from the place of death to the funeral home. Amma's suggestion about the health department is a very good one for that reason, especially if Hospice plans to keep and reuse these drapes. In my experience, it is the funeral home that provides transport, not Hospice, but that may be a local decision?