Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with charity grab bag I got...please! >

Need help with charity grab bag I got...please!

Need help with charity grab bag I got...please!

Old 05-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

Depending on what type of quilts you like to make, a string quilt would be easy, and you can use all different colors and widths of fabrics. There are tons of tutorials and patterns on-line. Here is one very informative site you can look at.
http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...ng_piecing.htm
Old 05-22-2011, 02:02 PM

Thanks again. I found a good tutorial on this site for the log cabin pattern, I looked at a broken brick quilt, I read about string quilts, I found some strip quilts to admire, and I will be looking up Chinese Coin and Fence Rail. I am so glad to have help from all of you, and I am relieved that there really are quilts I can make from these strips.

I don't know yet what I will be doing, but you have all given me the confidence to know that I will be able to do something!

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:49 PM

I have always enjoyed the string quilts. They go together easily and look great when you're finished. You could put maybe black as the center of each block and then use that to make different designs when you put the blocks together. You could even divide the colors into light and dark and then use them as Log Cabin with the shades.

[http://3creativestudios.com/freeproj...heet_quilt.pdf]

See what you think!
Old 05-22-2011, 03:19 PM

I was thinking of the strippy quilt too, and the brick quilt sounds like a good idea, also. Both would work well, using the various widths on different lines. Looking forward to see the quilt when it is done.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
How about something like this?
I agree that this type of quilt might work for you. It looks good and easy, too. Good luck. :)
Old 05-22-2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dina
Okay, two more good possibilities for me to research. Thanks.
A scrappy quilt is so easy to make....just sew the strips! Good luck and post pics when you are done
Old 05-22-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
How about something like this?
Dawn, your quilt is very striking! I like :thumbup:
Old 05-22-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
How about a Fence Rail?
Besides the log cabin, a rail fence was my second thought.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:51 PM

Okay, I have looked at all these neat patterns, and then I looked at the strips in my grab bag again. I have to be honest and tell you it looks hopeless to me. I am anxious to try these patterns, but not with these leftover pieces of fabric. Most of the fabric I don't like, and there isn't even a whole strip (selvage to selvage) of any one fabric.

I have never made a scrappy quilt, and I guess I am not ready to try. I am going to abandon this fabric and make this next charity quilt out of fabric I already have. I will be much happier cutting out my own strips than trying to use these.

Thanks for all your suggestions, and I am going to use at least one of these patterns, but not the fabric.

In fact, let me take a picture of what I have and you will see why I have made this decision...maybe. You can probably see possibilities that I can't. I am going to give the fabric to my sister, the committee chairman, to either put back in the grab bag selection (there are two more meetings where quilters can select grab bags) or maybe she can do something with it. She is an expert experienced quilter. I am not.

With all the time I have spent worrying about these strips, I could have already made a quilt top. The other grab bag was fun to play with. This one isn't, at least not for me.

Off to look at my stash ...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-200868.jpe  
Old 05-22-2011, 06:03 PM

I like the pic sewnsewer2 posted for you. I did one similar to that, but pieced the strips (long or short, doesn't matter) together on the diagonal at each end - 45 degree as for bias strips - & it turned out nice with many fabrics that didn't necessarily "go together".