Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: need help choosing the color for log cabin

need help choosing the color for log cabin

I am making a log cabin using a jelly roll and yardages for the light part of the block..I have a lot of white on white and beige on beige fabric to choose from for the light color of the block..

When I ordered this fabric the picture looked much brighter, I do like the jelly roll but I am thinking that the beige fabric that I originally choose for the light part of the block won't look good and it will be to much of the same as the colored fabric..

I want the colored fabric to pop not blend that is why I was thinking more along the lines of a white on white fabric for the light color part of the block.I will be using different light print for the the light part of the block but all will be either a white on white or beige on beige so the print won't all be the same as this will be a scrappy quilt..

What do you think, the beige or the white the white fabric isn't a real white white more of a off white..Thanks I need to decide as I have to get working on this quilt soon.. Thanks again

I covered the name of the fabric as I didn't know if it was ok to post the name, but if it is ok to post and someone wants to know the name I'll post it,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by quiltlady1941; 09-15-2018 at 09:44 AM.

While I understand your desire for the crispness/pop of the white fabric, my experience with the muted dyes of batiks is that I would go for the beige instead. I just haven't been happy using white with batiks, typically I use for black as my neutral when working with them (and often when working with solid colors as well). Keep in mind that the way a log cabin is made the darker fabrics will reinforce the medium/lighter ones as appearing darker, especially when using a consistent fabric on the light side.

Don't know if I can express this well -- but will you do be doing both right angles for each row out of the same fabric or will it be entirely scrappy? Either way it works.

The good news is with batiks it will be lovely no matter what you decide!

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Agree with beige, but that is my mind’s eye. The blending you don’t want looks good to me.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Blog Entries
    I would say beige. posting the name of the fabric line is fine.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

How about using white and beige? You are going for a scrappy look with the batiks, so why not mix up the neutrals? Just my 2 cents...
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I like the beige. I wouldn't use that white piece at all. Someone else posted a curved log cabin quilt that she is making, and I was thinking that might would be pretty for your fabrics. http://bluemountainquiltersguild.ca/...og%20cabin.pdf
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I prefer the beige with the batiks. The white seems to stark in contrast to the beige undertones of the batiks.
    "I may not believe in what you say but will defend your right to say it"- Voltaire

Blog Entries
    I would also use the beige, the colors are deep enough they aren’t going to blend in. I think the white is too stark.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

i like the beige better as well - it will be a beautiful quilt with those fabrics

Beige also. Your quilt your way though.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I would use the Beige and toss the white out of the group altogether.

I like the beige too, but I would recommend eliminating the 2 or 3 fabrics that look to be mostly beige from your jelly roll if you can. If you can't, just be careful in your placement of those few fabrics. I'm looking forward to pics of your finished quilt.

Until I quilted, I never liked white and light beige together. Now I love them mixed! I'd use both the white and beige, probably more of the beige, but I'd eliminate the darker beiges from the jelly roll. And, if possible, I'd add other light beiges into the mix for the light halves of the blocks.

Beige for sure. All your fabrics are warm, and so is the beige. The white is a cool tone, and so it is kind of stark.

Beige is my vote and you could probably use the back side of some of your beiges for variety.

I also think you'd be better off with the beige to go with those mellow batiks. They will make a gorgeous quilt!
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    I think you will be very surprised at how the beige will let the colors 'pop'. White might just take over rather than let the batiks show off. If you are very much up in the air, make a sample of both. Put it up on a wall and leave it for a day. Every time you enter the room, be aware of your reaction to them. Yes, if fabric is tight, it will require taking one apart - BUT - it will let you make a truly informed decision rather than guessing.

I'd like a mix of white and beige. Fold the fabric so only a 2" strip shows and see how they look together. I think mixing the lights will give the quilt more depth.

Blog Entries
    I would use the off white. Hope to see the quilt soon.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

As soon as you mentioned the options without even seeing it I was thinking beige too; after seeing the colors (gorgeous by the way), I'd definitely go with the beige.

I would also go with the beige for all the reasons already mentioned.

Beige, without a doubt.