Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help choosing a color scheme

Question Need help choosing a color scheme

I am on a mission, to make wedding quilts for all 3 of my kids. Before they get married, or even engaged, just to put them up until it's time to hand them out. First up is the middle son's, as he is closest to actually getting married. My dilemma is this... Would you stick with the main color being your childs favorite and then build around that? OR, in the case of this particular child, would you include the potential DIL's colors as well? They have been together for over a year now and have been living together for 8 months. They are "promised" to each other, (I guess this is the new "engaged"..?), and have been talking marriage for a month or so now.
    If I was to use both their colors, the palette would be:
    Teal (son)
    Hunter Green(hers)
    Royal Purple (hers)
    & Mustard Yellow (hers)
    blech! is all I can think after pulling these colors and variants of them from my stash. I just can't see them coming together "nicely". But, that's maybe just me. I do tend to lean towards blues, lol.
    I am afraid that if I were to make a joint combo and things fall apart, the quilt would be a waste. No, I don't see that happening but ya just never do know in this day and age.
    So, what would you do??
    And, if you were to use all 4 colors or any combo of them, what would you choose? I am thinking of a double wedding ring if I can trim it to 3 colors, but which ones? Or a remake of my first quilt, the Lover's Knot from quilters cache. I am actually leaning more towards this last one as I think it will fit their colors better but... still just simply stuck here.
    I appreciate all input and ideas, or even thoughts about this. So, thanks ahead of time!!

Power Poster
    I think the teal, green and purple could make a lovely quilt. I would not use the mustard. Yuck is my opinion too.

Perhaps just one of each "favorite" color and a neutral. I have seen teal and purple play together quite nicely and also Teal and gold.(not sure what you mean by mustard yellow, there is Frenches mustard primary yellow and there is spicy brown gulden's mustard yellow)

I would stick with one favorite from each. Teal and green would work. You could use variations of each and make a log cabin. Maybe using a purple center.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

We all know that it is the "lady of the house" that decorates the house and most of the time the husband does not even care( or notice). I would take a good look around this apartment and see what colors are used now since this will probably carry over to the new house. Also important is "her" style. My daughters are more comtempory in decorating so the quilts I am making them are not scrappy or traditional. If this quilt is to be a surprise then you choose colors if not ask the "lady of the house".

Teal and purple look surprisingly good together. I wouldn't do the mustard, either. My reaction is the same as yours--yuck. And if the marriage doesn't happen, teal and purple wouldn't be bad. Or, teal and green might not be bad.

I vote for Teal and Purple maybe with a small pop of mustard yellow. I agree with Bigsister63, look around and see what they have now. Even though those are favorite colors they may not really use them in decorating.

I do agree, the mustard yellow is what was yuck-ing me out too. She explained this color by saying "ya know, the dirty brownish-yellow? Like old mustard dried on the lid?"
    Was playing with the ideal of using one of each with a neutral as well. I love all the ideas, thanks a ton! Their "style" is .... hmm, how to put this? Well, think Star Wars meets Zombies in Egypt, then traveling to Asia. I reckon ya could call it "eclectic", idk. Her fave is most likely gonna be the royal purple as any decorations they buy for holidays and whatnot is usually something in this deep jeweled purple color. He is the "lady of the house" I would say, as he cleans/decorates/picks the styles using her input.
    They both know they are getting a quilt for their wedding, whenever that may be. He is used to me being a quilter and getting quilts for special occasions however, she was so shocked and yelled "OMG! WE are getting a quilt?!" when I told them about the idea I just had to laugh. He just laughed and told her "that's just what mom does".

Again, thanks so much for the input. Keep it coming, if ya can!

Teal and purple with a splash of green would work.

Personally, I think the teal, green and purple would work beautifully, also agree with you and others about the "yuck" mustard, ick!!! Another suggestion is take them both to the fabric/quilt shop and see what they pick, or if you have a large stash, let them "shop" there.

The mustard and purple w touches of green and teal. Since I work a lot w muddy colors, try muddy for all the quilt. The mustard setting the tone for the quilt. Black would look good w all these colors. Look at Amish quilts and how they used color. They did wonderful quilts with unusual color choices. If you choose brights, it is all about proportions, so watch the balance of colors.

Actually I think the mustard would really give the quilt a POP. Here's one of the forum to give you an idea of how it could liven up the other jewel tones. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t201281.html
    There are some gorgeous batiks in all of the colours you've listed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adamae View Post
    The mustard and purple w touches of green and teal. Since I work a lot w muddy colors, try muddy for all the quilt. The mustard setting the tone for the quilt. Black would look good w all these colors. Look at Amish quilts and how they used color. They did wonderful quilts with unusual color choices. If you choose brights, it is all about proportions, so watch the balance of colors.

This is my thought as well. I recently seen a quilt done in solids, including mustard yellow. It was done with black background, Amish style. It looked quite modern and might be just what they would like.
    fatquarters

Blog Entries
    I would go with a nice sized couch throw instead... usually they can fold it up and use it in the living room or where=ever and it works no matter what. A queen size or king size bedspread may or may not fit their bed, and its such a big feature in the bedroom... its like a 9x9 foot piece of wallpaper that only one person in the relationship picked out LOL... Couch throws are so versatle...

Blog Entries
    OK. I found it but can't mannage to post the link

Its called Amish with a twist, and is sold at keepsake quilting
    fatquarters

i agree with the other s. teal and royal purple. i love the two color together. you would be surprised how nice they play. and if you add the right shade of green it will be lovely. maybe do a hidden wells pattern or if you are good a wedding ring. for the other two maybe nutral colors. post when done would love to see the finished quilts.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

I did a google image search for jewel tones & there's a french braid that looks quite stunning in all those colours. Have a peek, I really think the mustard/gold/brown tone is great with the teals & purples. https://www.google.ca/search?q=jewel...w=1280&bih=854

Teal and purple would be very pretty and maybe even the green and maybe gold. I think a lot will depend on the fabric you use. Good luck a wedding ring could be made very pretty I think. Sue

Since your son and future daughter-in-law already know what you will be giving them for their wedding gift, why don't you take them with you to the fabric store to pick out their favorite fabrics and their favorite pattern. That way, they will be sure to love it. there is nothing worse than working on a quilt and it not be loved. If the happy couple are involved in the process, they will get exactly what they want AND they will have a sense of the work that goes into making a quilt.

Blog Entries
    I would use my child's favorite colors and I did. I'm partial to my kids no matter how much I love my new child in laws. LOL
    Got fabric?

What if you did something neutral? You could use the yellow with some browns or tans, that way if for some reason it doesn't work out it is still something you could give to another DIL safely. Plus it could go with almost any color scheme.

What is weirding me out is the teal and hunter green. I've got a tough time envisioning a combination there that works. Yellow and purple are complimentary so they can go together well. Anyway, threw this together to give you some ideas.
    Name:  mecch.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  47.5 KB

take out that teal, and it's MARDI GRAS!!!

Blog Entries
    Sometimes just a touch of a color you wouldn't normally use helps bring out the other colors. You can get some great combinations in batiks. I made this for my FIL. I don't care for gold/mustard normally, but I love how this quilt came out.

Name:  Picture2.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  72.3 KB

Katier825, love your avatar! and the quilt you show here. I see you do beautiful things with color. I would consider the colors green, teal, purple and mustard a challenge and almost went to my stash to see what I could put together. Might still do that after i whip out some UFO's..hee hee.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast