Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever get stuck on one color scheme?

Do you ever get stuck on one color scheme?

I have been sewing black/white fabrics in a quilt top and started a second one using the black/white pattern with red. Also using the black/white fabrics for the block of the month too and find that I still have so much black/white fabric in my stash. What is wrong with me that I keep purchasing black/white fabrics? It seems everytime I go to fabric store I see one or two that I don't have and buy to add to my 'collection.'
    Do others do this or have done this before?
    I have other colors I am using to, but it just seems that the black/whites stick out to me in the fabric sections!

Working with black and white makes choosing other colors to go with them very easy. I also love black and white in quilts and have to make a conscious decision to not use black or white in a quilt. I've gotten lazy and having black and white only or with 1 other color is easy. Challenge yourself to make a quilt with no black or white in it. Make another color, like red, your neutral!

With me it's green. I have more green fabric and thread .....
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I am stuck on Civil War and 30's. But that's okay here, DH loves them both too!
    Country1
    Country 1

i use every color i think in the rainbow. i like pretty bright colors. but
    i do mix them all together sometime. ha ha but it sure is fun

I find that I have a problem with a certain line of fabrics, not so much a certain color of fabrics. I love Kansas Troubles fabrics and buy the entire line of the fabric just so I have it. I don't even have a pattern in mind when I buy the fabrics. Must be an addiction. LOL
    God, Wonderful Family, Great Health, Awesome Friends, Quilting & Chocolates - - What more could a girl be blessed with!!

Don't call it 'being stuck', call it 'working in a series' or your 'black and white period' like Picasso's Blue Period. Very artistic.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I am a purple freak. If in doubt, I select purple....and I have a lot of purple!!

Dina

I love pink and green together - so those two colors always jump out at me. I have a lot of pink and green scraps and just can't turn loose of them........lol
    Linda

purples and blues for me, most quilts I do i have one or the other or both
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I'm like quilting girl. Every Kansas Troubles fabric sings to me, and Holly Taylor by Moda with the lodge-y type fabrics is a close second. I only have brights if I'm making something for someone who likes them or for baby quilts. I do have a fair bit of 30's fabrics waiting for me to make a summer quilt, though.

I gravitate towards any rose, pink colors.i have to force myself to choose other colors.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I like most colors, but browns. You won't find quilts that I do w/ browns in it.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

i am a black and white purist:

Name:  black and white.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  119.2 KB

i don't use any other color on a black and white quilt. i have tubs and tubs of black and white, and rarely have i purchased a duplicate. i usually buy fat quarters or regular quarters unless there is a yardage minimum, which i may or may not take advantage of.

this quilt is my own design.
    Last edited by rush88888; 01-27-2013 at 04:09 AM.
    "perfection is the enemy of done."
    "the secret to having it all is knowing you already do."

I so want a pretty floral "girly" quilt but keep buying and using autumn colored batiks! Love them too! I am just too slow to do all the things I want to do!

I'm always looking for different reds and greens. But must really love blue cause I got a bunch.

Green is my thing also. My furniture is green so want quilts to match.
    Love black and white but it just wouldnt match.
    I need to branch out and make other colors even if I cant use them. Its all in the making isnt it?
    Im not a fan of blue and get frustrated with catalogs with all the kits in blues. Seems to be the most popular color.
    Loved blue when I was younger but found greens more to my liking as I got older.

Was trying to choose fab from my stash for tumbling block quilt and realized I had darks, medium, and brights! No lights! Do have lots of white and tot beigh though.
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Love the looks of this quilt! I like to make my own designs too, so I can appreciate the work that goes in it. Do you draw them out by hand or can you vision the look with your blocks alone? I can draw my blocks with EQ7 instead of putting it on graph paper and then put them into my quilt. I noticed that when I put the colors in I often change them from my original thought. Even when I only do two colors. It always amazes me how placing the colors in another place can change the quilt. Great job!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rush88888 View Post
    i am a black and white purist:

Name:  black and white.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  119.2 KB

i don't use any other color on a black and white quilt. i have tubs and tubs of black and white, and rarely have i purchased a duplicate. i usually buy fat quarters or regular quarters unless there is a yardage minimum, which i may or may not take advantage of.

this quilt is my own design.

Greens and blues for me - they have to be part of the color scheme.

Ours is reds. Yep - easy to get stuck!
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Mine is green. I love quilts with green and blue or blue and purple. However I have a problem picking blues and purple to go into a quilt. The ones that I pick don't go together. I have lots of browns in my stash, and discovered I didn't have any blues, so now when I'm shopping I pick blues. I started this comment saying green, but I think I am stuck on brown.
    Sue

I seem to go towards burgundy, but I love all colours.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Don't call it 'being stuck', call it 'working in a series' or your 'black and white period' like Picasso's Blue Period. Very artistic.
    Love this , very "artsy" sounding.
    I happen to be working in my "jewel batik series" right now with a little "finish-up-my-loose-ends period" as something to do work on when the batiks drive me batty.
    gosh, makes me feel like I'm a professional fabric artist.

Mine is Fall colors, I love them so much that I find myself looking for them first and I already have so many of them I need to do something with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast