Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help choosing long arm machine >

need help choosing long arm machine

need help choosing long arm machine

Old 02-22-2013, 03:02 AM

I have a Pfaff PowerQuilter P3 with Quilt Artist 2. I have used a Gammill as well. I can't remember it's name, but it was quite large (the lady I rented from also had a smaller Gammill that was 18 inches). Both were effective machines, but there are a few things I like better about my Pfaff. First, I like that the computer is part of the machine. With the Gammill, there was a lap top sitting near by and that's where the computer layout of a design was tweeked. This may not be an issue for some, but I like everything as efficient and stream lined as possible. Second, the Gammill had tension issues regularly, but in fairness, I've only done a handful of quilts on my Pfaff whereas the Gammill was probably used every day all day. That may have been a factor in the tension issues. Second and most important to me, I purchased my Pfaff from my favorite LQS. They provide excellent customer service. I've been receiving weekly lessons to make sure I know all the things I can do with my machine. I can call them when I run into a problem and they will talk me through how to resolve it. This may or may not be important to you however.

To sum it up, if you are getting a good deal and you are able to learn on your own (something I don't do as well), either machine, if well cared for prior to your purchase, would most likely make you happy. How exciting for you!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:36 AM

I have a Gammill Vision 18/8 and love it. I am not familiar with the Pfaff so unfortunately, I can't help you with that. There is a learning curve with any longarm, but the few problems that I have had, the technicians at Linda's Electric Quilters have walked me through the solutions by phone. I have been very pleased with the support. Gammill has been around for a long time and has a very good reputation.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:30 AM

There are as many different long arm machines as regular sewing machines. Figure out your wants and needs. Take your time, and test drive as many as you can.
I would really suggest that you join the yahoo group - homequiltingsystems. There is a wealth of information on that list. There are many files to read and check out. I think there is even a shopping list of things to look for, or options that are out there.
Just remember - when you do get one - There is a learning curve.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

Another Innova lover here. I think a good dealer makes a huge difference. A LA is not a purchase to be taken lightly, they are expensive and can be intimidating. If something goes wrong, it is very comforting to have a dealer to turn to.

I love my Innova.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:25 AM

Definitely go try each one out. Find out who has the best service contract (included) and who has the best training. Does anyone in your town have one and would they be available and willing to answer easy questions of let you drop by and learn from them? And which one fits your budget best? No one can give you advice, you need to do your own research and search your heart for the one that you want.