Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need help with colors....

Need help with colors....

My grandson just got married,and my daughter wants me to make them a quilt ,,,she will get the fabric. Her wedding colors were grey and mint green.I tried to explain to dd that they are too close in value and she would need a third color ...even with a third color it sounds like a hard color choice to choose a pattern where there is enough contrast.Her favorite color is purple,,,might could add that. Any ideas??? I have done quilts and colors for years but this one really has me stumped...

Super Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    How about a white or cream color?

Just use a lighter or darker grey to get a good contrast with the green

Just saw this on an email. It is close to the colors. Maybe it could give you an idea, anyway. https://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com/

What about adding coral or even better coral and navy blue? I like those together. May depend on on the gray that is chosen.

Banned
    Dove grey and mint green with a darker grey background. A very small touch of a coral or pale orange would wake it up a bit.

How about finding out what colors they want in their bedroom? I don't have my wedding colors in my house and never did.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
    How about finding out what colors they want in their bedroom? I don't have my wedding colors in my house and never did.
    This might be a place to start?

Power Poster
    I could live with a rich true purple and other shades of purple that blended- mint green in various shades -and other greens that "went" with the mint and a pale gray background. You could use a very dark purple as your black.

Blog Entries
    I was thinking the same thing....

Power Poster
    ​I would do a 2 colour quilt like Hunter's Star with slate grey and mint green. The mint green stars would really pop against the dark background.

I'm sure your grandson and his bride will love whatever you make for them. However, keep in mind that they aren't quilters, so they will see this as an element of their bedroom rather than a stand-alone work of art. They might not want contrast - it will make the quilt less interesting on its own, but might make it fit with their room better.

I have made three different quilts for my own bed. The one that I find least interesting as a quilt is the one I most like on the bed. It's all light colours, with large blocks, and I find it very serene. The others with more contrast and more interesting patterns are less relaxing, so as much as I love them, I use them less.

Your grandson and granddaughter-in-law might not feel that way, but I would talk to them and see what their (and especially her) preference is. If they want low contrast, that's okay; they are just looking at the quilt differently from how we as quilters do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
    Just saw this on an email. It is close to the colors. Maybe it could give you an idea, anyway. https://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com/
    This is an awesome combination. Perfectly modern look and great colors.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I would ask the bride for color hints.
    But your daughter is the one giving the quilt, so she is your customer (sorta) and it is what she wants to give.
    Good luck with the colors.
    What Pattern are you thinking about?
    Mike

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    One of the gals at the guild meeting showed a quilt that was done in grey and white (she called it a yawner but it was very pretty). She used the white to make orange peel slices and put various greys as 4-patches for the background. It would look great with the green and grey.

I don't worry about color values. I just put together whatever colors I like. Green and grey would be fine, if that is what they like.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I've seen the chevron design done in gray and mint green. Usually there is cream or white with those colors to make them "pop" a bit. Just as an aside--I recently made a requested table piece from shirts of a deceased person. It seemed too light to me so did the binding in a dark gray blender. It was just enough to spice up the design. Just a thought.

How about a drunkards path?

I agree. I have pink and sage in my bedroom and used to have pink walls. I would never wear pink. Colors you wear are different than colors you use in your home. Ask her what colors she's going to have in her house. If it's going to be a bed quilt ask what color the bedroom is, if it's a throw ask what colors the living room or den are. The quilt will be way more useable that way than if it's her wedding colors of gray and mint green but her house has browns, beiges and corals.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    My niece took a picture of the bedroom walls after they painted their house. It helped quite a bit.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

I googled mint green gray quilt and then images. They had a decent selection to get you thinking.

What color were the wedding flowers? That mat give you some ideas

Green and purple are good together. I tend to agree with bearisgray but I see the point of soccertaxi as well. My favorite color is sapphire blue, but I have never used it in decor. Why not ask?
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price