Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What size do you make your potholders?

Power Poster

What size do you make your potholders?

And - do you make them different sizes for different purposes?

I've noticed that people do not have the same sized hands - do you make various sizes for different people?

When a potholder is "too big" for my hands, I end up with part of it in the food (somtimes) - but that same sized potholder would be "inadequate" for some of my big-handed friends.

I am looking for actual dimensions.

And - do you have a preference for round, square, or octagon shape?

Blog Entries
    the heavy duty ones i've used for years are double crocheted cotton and are 7" square
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I like about 6" square, myself.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I like mine somewhere around 8 - 8.5" finished. Smaller and I burn my hands.
    My hands are medium size. But I think it's a question of what you are used to.
    BTW, I forgot to mention in my last post that I lined my potholders with dark
    fabric that way the nice side stays clean...more or less. LOL

I like mine oversized, but I don't have a specific size and I often use scraps for the whole shebang so they're all a little "unique". They kind of end up whatever size they end up - most are probably around 8" square.

If they're too large and getting into food (which does happen) I just fold them in half or fold down a corner and use them that way. My mom always had tiny potholders and I hated them, so I make BIG ones!

I make square ones or sometimes slightly rectangular ones. Mostly because that's easiest, and I consider potholders to be utility items, so I don't really fuss with making them special. Sometimes I will even just add a new "cover" to one that's gotten stained to the point it looks unsanitary, or a burn that has exposed the batting. I'm either lazy or thrifty, you decide! LOL

I have never made any, but have had many given to me over the years. Most are about 6 or 7 inches and square, which I prefer.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I just buy oven mitts, which work much better for me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    My hands are small, but I make them about 8 inch squares.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I'm soon going to have to resort to making my own potholders because I prefer the terrycloth square ones which are nearly impossible to find these days. I'll make them about 7". Someday.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I make mine between 8-10 inches square but I have large hands and I use the potholders under hot dishes on my oak table for serving...
    LilaKay...greatgramma to Brielle Mae

I'm soon going to make some out of orphan blocks gifted to me from a quilter that passed away. I think they range in size from 7"-12"...The 12" will be hot pads...
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have single and double size pot holders. Now when it comes to oven mitts and trying to get the hubs size, he never sits still long enough, I just took one of his shirt sleeves and measured the width and length then added a couple inches for extra room. I cut a thumb very wide. Used a pair of his denim pant legs. Nothing fancy or girly just how he likes it.

Blog Entries
    Well, that answer requires that I get up out of my comfy chair and do a little research. Back in a minute..........
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....
    ...........Okay, I'm back! It would appear mine range between 6" and 7" with a few square, a few rectangular and a few round. Judging by what I grab most frequently however, I prefer 6" square and I have large hands. If there's any weight at all to the dish I use 2 potholders each folded into HST's with the folded portion inside my hands and one pointed edge on top of the dish and one beneath on each side and it works perfectly....for me.............end of research!

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I just buy oven mitts, which work much better for me.
    Same for me, I use oven mitts.

Blog Entries
    At our shop we sell several different sizes and types from large, 'regular', small (those are all in sets of 2) and tiny ones that are folded over and are called 'handle holders'. They come in quilted versions, crochet/knit ones, oven mitts and some shaped like chickens (!). And, of course, now we sell a lot of the soup bowl microwave pot holders. They are all handcrafted by local seniors. We sell all of them. Everybody has a favorite. So, yes, I would make a couple different sizes. On that item, one of the best sellers is a set including an apron, a regular size pot holder and an oven mitt.

Blog Entries
    BBQ ones are bigger for the guys, about 8"
    about 7" for indoor
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by klswift View Post
    At our shop we sell several different sizes and types from large, 'regular', small (those are all in sets of 2) and tiny ones that are folded over and are called 'handle holders'. They come in quilted versions, crochet/knit ones, oven mitts and some shaped like chickens (!). And, of course, now we sell a lot of the soup bowl microwave pot holders. They are all handcrafted by local seniors. We sell all of them. Everybody has a favorite. So, yes, I would make a couple different sizes. On that item, one of the best sellers is a set including an apron, a regular size pot holder and an oven mitt.
    Could you give dimensions in inches, please?

One man's small might be another man's large!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I'm soon going to have to resort to making my own potholders because I prefer the terrycloth square ones which are nearly impossible to find these days. I'll make them about 7". Someday.

Jan in VA
    I got these back in 2015: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I really like them.
    I also have some I made out of old potholders which had the covers wear out. I took them apart and used the filling(batting and insulbrite) to make more potholders using some quilting cotton.
    The ones I re-made are about 7" square and the terry ones are only slightly smaller.
    Sally

If you have a potholder in your kitchen that you love, make more the same size. Or, go a store and see what sizes they have and see what appeals to you.
    Penny

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post

Jan in VA
    Try Amazon. They have the terry pocket mitts and terry backed with that shiny stuff. I can't find the terry pocket ones anywhere now. They used to be everywhere, so I bought a bunch.
    Penny

Blog Entries
    See that I missed one of your questions, Bear.....sorry. If I make anything larger than 6" I no longer call it a "pot holder".....it then becomes a "hot pad" which I would spend more time on in so far as patchwork or applique because, typically, mine don't get very soiled. On the other hand, my pot holders get messy pretty quickly so they are utilitarian and, for that reason, they aren't fancy and I never waste time putting that little hanging thingee on them unless they're strictly for decoration.

Power Poster
    The Florida ones get hung up on a peg - the ones at home get tossed in a drawer.

I made some round ones a few years ago - I am thinking I stretched the bias binding while I was putting it one. They are making a saucer shape now. Interesting. I never noticed that it was doing that until today, though.

I make round, hand-stitched folded star potholders, and I start at 8-1/2". Some trimming is usually necessary, so I'd expect that they end up a flat 8" round. I made about 25-30 of those before Christmas and that's what I sent to my sisters for Christmas!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    The Florida ones get hung up on a peg - the ones at home get tossed in a drawer.

I made some round ones a few years ago - I am thinking I stretched the bias binding while I was putting it one. They are making a saucer shape now. Interesting. I never noticed that it was doing that until today, though.
    Could it be the pot holder shrunk a little but the bias tape didn't? Just a thought..........