Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size do you make your potholders? >

What size do you make your potholders?

What size do you make your potholders?

Old 05-19-2017, 01:14 PM

See that I missed one of your questions, Bear.....sorry. If I make anything larger than 6" I no longer call it a "pot holder".....it then becomes a "hot pad" which I would spend more time on in so far as patchwork or applique because, typically, mine don't get very soiled. On the other hand, my pot holders get messy pretty quickly so they are utilitarian and, for that reason, they aren't fancy and I never waste time putting that little hanging thingee on them unless they're strictly for decoration.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

The Florida ones get hung up on a peg - the ones at home get tossed in a drawer.

I made some round ones a few years ago - I am thinking I stretched the bias binding while I was putting it one. They are making a saucer shape now. Interesting. I never noticed that it was doing that until today, though.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:29 PM

I make round, hand-stitched folded star potholders, and I start at 8-1/2". Some trimming is usually necessary, so I'd expect that they end up a flat 8" round. I made about 25-30 of those before Christmas and that's what I sent to my sisters for Christmas!
Old 05-19-2017, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
The Florida ones get hung up on a peg - the ones at home get tossed in a drawer.

I made some round ones a few years ago - I am thinking I stretched the bias binding while I was putting it one. They are making a saucer shape now. Interesting. I never noticed that it was doing that until today, though.
Could it be the pot holder shrunk a little but the bias tape didn't? Just a thought..........