Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help with Cutting Strips >

Need Help with Cutting Strips

Need Help with Cutting Strips

Old 03-06-2010, 08:23 PM

What is wrong with my strips? Even when I change the blade, I still end up with "perforated" strips. I've tried a new mat but that didn't help either. I think I'm doing so well getting good slices only to pick them up and find they are still connected and pulling threads across the strip. Grrrrrr.

I hear people saying a new blade cuts like butter. Not mine!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:24 PM

i got these orange stretchy strips @ the sewing expo a few years ago, i know they have them @ clotide.com.... it works kind of like those holiday window clings

you pull the length a little bit, then position it on the back side of the ruler @ whatever width your strips need to me....

then you slide the ruler over the fabric, the orange thing stops @ the cut edge and every strip comes out the same

when you're done, you peel the orange stretchy thing off your ruler and put it away for the next time

i've been using the same pkg of 3-4 for 4 years come april and they still work like they did when i bought them....

unfortunately, the pkg they came in has been gone forever, so i can't tell you the name of the product. but i'm sure someone else on here has tried it...
Old 03-07-2010, 12:17 AM
joy

Do you know that when you are cutting strips you have to line up the ruler with the straight edge that you have made from one selvedge to selvedge...
Old 03-07-2010, 05:20 AM

I put my little finger over the left edge of the ruler to hold the ruler steady while cutting.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by illinois
What is wrong with my strips? Even when I change the blade, I still end up with "perforated" strips. I've tried a new mat but that didn't help either. I think I'm doing so well getting good slices only to pick them up and find they are still connected and pulling threads across the strip. Grrrrrr.

I hear people saying a new blade cuts like butter. Not mine!
I don't know what the answer to this really is. I do know I many times put on a new rotary cutter blade and it isn't as good as it should be. There are some bads ones straight from the package.

I would suggest just keep practicing cutting. Use some practice fabric and just keep making cuts. Many times in beginner's classes I have someone having problems with their cuts so I as the teacher try a cut with their blade and it cuts fine. I guess more practicing with even pressure helps. Also start your cut about 1/2" before the fabric and stop about 1/2" after the end of your fabric. This seems to be where most people have problems as they don't press as hard at the beginning or at the end.

Barb
Old 03-07-2010, 10:20 AM

I am a new quilter being guided by my sister, an experienced quilter. I use the June Taylor ruler and love it. I wouldn't cut strips any other way.

However, my sister also had me buy a suction cup type holder that sticks to the ruler. It allows me to push down on a handle type thing instead of just on the ruler. The first one she bought was from a quilting store and cost $25. Then we found them at Harbor Freight for $7. (I think that was the price.) Someone out there is going to know what it is called, but I have also seen it at Linen & Things, for a higher price.

It is designed to attach to the side of a shower to help get in and out of the shower safely. It has strong suction cups on each end of the handle and secures itself easily. Harbor Freight also has two mini versions that I bought.

Hope this helps? Like I said, I am still a beginner.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:23 AM

Okay, I really am new, to quilting and this site. I didn't realize there were 3 pages to this discussion, and that the suction thing I mentioned had already been suggested. Sorry.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:28 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wingrider
I put my little finger over the left edge of the ruler to hold the ruler steady while cutting.
On the mat right? Me too! A guy showed me this tip in an LQS in the UK a while back and the ruler hasn't slipped since. I also only cut up to level with my hand then stop and walk my fingers up the ruler, pinky on the mat, rest of the fingers splayed on the ruler, cut up to hand, walk etc;;; you get the idea! :-D If your hand is in the correct position with your pinky on the mat, someone should be able to push on the ruler and it won't move. :-D
Old 03-07-2010, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by nancya
Oooh, now this sounds cool. I will look at Wally World this weekend and see if mine has one.

So it is just like a regular square ruler with slits? Sounds like that would help a lot when cutting a bunch of strips like I need to. I tell you, if I ever get these strips cut, I think the quilt is going to look great :D
I love mine as well. Here is a link so you can see what it looks like. It is hard plastic rather than acrylic (at least mine is-it's bout 4 years old). Anyway, the biggest problem I have is that the spaces between the slots can move if you don't keep your rotary cutter straight (perpendicular to surface) since it isn't rigid. But you can cut several strips without moving the ruler.

http://store.junetailor.com/store/p-...cut-ruler.aspx
Old 03-08-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by steelecg
Be sure your fabric is straight on grain, iron with starch and it will be easier. The key seems to be preparation of fabric.
I never thought about starching first. I will have to try that instead of waiting until I have the pieces together.