Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with fabric choices >

Need help with fabric choices

Need help with fabric choices

Old 12-20-2011, 08:03 PM

I've tried the blues out on several background fabrics....ranging from white to cream....they all just don't look quite "right".....any suggestions????

My friend has a bolt of off-white it kinda reads greyish, I may go with that for the background for my blocks.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:48 PM

The blues are awesome, but, like the others, that green must go. Perhaps a darker green with perhaps a black paisley to tie it together. And either a soft grey or white with a hint of blue to it would work for the background fabric.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:49 PM

The off white_ grayish sounds perfect.
Sorry about this I was trying to add the quote and messed up.<my friend="" has="" a="" bolt="" of="" off-white="" it="" kinda="" reads="" greyish,="" i="" may="" go="" with="" that="" for="" the="" background="" my="" blocks.=""></my>

Last edited by cinnya; 12-20-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: messed up the quote :0
Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 PM

love everything you have....i think it needs a dark...something that reads as navy and picks up the few navy details in the other prints... and maybe one much lighter...tho not much of it..... the green is perfect... it has a lot of yellow in it which is the direct complement to the blues you have chosen...just realize that all the blues you have chosen are the same value for the quilt...you just have to add some light and some dark to go with..... that green will be smashing with navy!... i read something years ago by Michael Miller, fabric designer and quilt maker....he said if a group of fabrics looked like something was wrong, to trust your eye but add don't subtract.... i think a little white on white and a couple of deep blues not solid but not much white in them either...one navy with a tiny line drawing with green in it would be wonderful.... just see what you can find....

read all the other remarks....i think the green is wonderful in there...it's what makes the blues soft and makes them stand out...contrast is your friend...i would put 2 or 3 more prints with the same green in there to tie them together....add, don't subtract.....

Last edited by deemail; 12-20-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:00 PM

I agree with deemail. It will be a gorgeous quilt!

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
love everything you have....i think it needs a dark...something that reads as navy and picks up the few navy details in the other prints... and maybe one much lighter...tho not much of it..... the green is perfect... it has a lot of yellow in it which is the direct complement to the blues you have chosen...just realize that all the blues you have chosen are the same value for the quilt...you just have to add some light and some dark to go with..... that green will be smashing with navy!... i read something years ago by Michael Miller, fabric designer and quilt maker....he said if a group of fabrics looked like something was wrong, to trust your eye but add don't subtract.... i think a little white on white and a couple of deep blues not solid but not much white in them either...one navy with a tiny line drawing with green in it would be wonderful.... just see what you can find....

read all the other remarks....i think the green is wonderful in there...it's what makes the blues soft and makes them stand out...contrast is your friend...i would put 2 or 3 more prints with the same green in there to tie them together....add, don't subtract.....
Old 12-21-2011, 04:15 AM

I love the blues. I'm not so crazy about the green. The blues are "cool" tones, the green looks like it has a yellow-ish base making it a little too "warm" to fit in with the "cool" blues. Just my opinopn, of course. It's YOUR quilt and if you like the green, the go for it!
Old 12-21-2011, 04:56 AM

Ok, I'll weigh in here. I like the idea of the green but not that green. Too warm. It needs to be, IMO, a cooler green, not so much yellow. Audition some other greens and yes, some navy. This will be a beautiful quilt!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:16 AM

I am with the rest. love the blues but not the green.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:55 AM

Love the fabrics with the blues but seems like not quite the right green to make a statement. Can't wait to see what you make.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:15 AM

It is your quilt.

I think those blues aren't enough contrast but would look like a worn out watercolor quilt. More contrast would make them pop and I think be more visually pleasing.

That green isn't my choice. It is too much for me.

ali