Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with fabric choices >

Need help with fabric choices

Need help with fabric choices

Old 12-21-2011, 06:41 AM

I like to have light—medium—and dark fabrics in a collection. Pictures don't always tell the story—the shades seem to have a medium cast. As "QM" recommended, a lighter shade and deeper indigo will make your beautiful prints "pop."
(I've made way too many quilts will all mediums!)
Old 12-21-2011, 07:50 AM

I agree with every one else. The green doesn't go. The blues you have picked are beautiful, but are all medium. You need to "shake" it up a little. Maybe some very dark blues or some very light. Let us see what you come up with and save the green for another project.
Sue
Old 12-21-2011, 07:57 AM

I disagree with the ladies above. Maybe it would help to see the pattern you propose to use, but I can almost envision looking out across a beach through green hanging palm leaves towards waves of ocean blue.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:03 AM

I love the materials but... you asked for opinions. The blues are nearly all the same tone/shade. Need some darker and some lighter to give depth or dimension or contrast depending on your pattern. Another color usually works in a pattern to add a note of surprise but not this green. Another darker green or go with contrast and use a golden yellow which will look beautiful against this blue. Have fun playing with other fabric colors.

Please let us know what you decide on and we would love to see the quilt when finished. Happy quilting.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter View Post
I disagree with the ladies above. Maybe it would help to see the pattern you propose to use, but I can almost envision looking out across a beach through green hanging palm leaves towards waves of ocean blue.
The blues will be used for the blades of a Dresden plate...the green was to be the leaves on a few of the plates.

Still auditioning assorted fabrics for the quilt. Thanks for all the in-put
Old 12-21-2011, 03:38 PM

Did you see the picture of the Dresden Plate with the black in it? It was the most beautiful Dresden many of us have ever seen - and it was because of the black that sparked the whole thing. Try a black print with your blues. Ditch the idea of any green.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by wuv2quilt View Post
These are the fabrics for my Quilts for Quilters Swap: I'd like to get some in-put as to my choices so far.
I'm still picking out fabrics for islandwiz1's quilt. Hope to post some pics of the fabrics to get feedback on my choices. I'm worried that the quilt may read a little "VANILLA". The fabrics are gorgeous, and in assorted blues with a "touch of sparkle", I also have a green for leaves to place here and there. Please give me your thought and ideas....I will NOT be offended....just want a little in-put OK, here are my fabrics....so far.
All the fabs
Fabric 1

Fabric 2

Fabric 3
That green will outweight the beautiful blues. I'd stay with the blue. If you want some contrast------use a navy instead.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:37 PM
RDM

The blues are beautiful but best I can tell from the photo are similar in value. You might add a solid or tone-on-tone pale pale blue and a dark/dark (use the floral to reference the light/dark).
Old 12-21-2011, 10:07 PM

i'm sorry, i'm really trying to influence you but not to what i like....what i think you saw when you chose your samples.... that green .... is the lifeblood of that group.... it is what makes all the blues so vibrant....with a light and a dark you are gonna love it... and i think your idea of to do something 'smashing' with it is just right...an occasional 'shadow' under one or two blades in the plate, or a tiny appliqued leaf or flower in the corner or the block or on the plate...or a tiny zinger flange border between all your blocks and their border... and if you don't like the neutral for the background of the plates, how about using the dark blue on blue for the backgrounds? all your mediums will then be 'lights' unless you add a little white here and there... remember, value is all relative...

Last edited by deemail; 12-21-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Power Poster

Waht is the center and background of your plates? I am not sure about the green with it.