Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help figuring amount of fabric needed.... >

Need help figuring amount of fabric needed....

Need help figuring amount of fabric needed....

Old 09-01-2011, 05:23 AM

I made one of these quilts for a baby a while back and it was fun, fast, and easy! Really a neat quilt! I made it of scraps and have no idea how much fabric would be needed. Now, a cousin would also like one, and I have no idea on how to figure the amounts of fabrics I'd need. Can some of you mathematical minded people help? It's like my brain is frozen, and numbers weren't there when it happened! Here is a link to the pattern:

[http://www.maryquilts.com/wp-content...est-Bricks.pdf]

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:25 AM

I didn't measure any of the fabric for the baby quilt, just used scraps, but would like to purchase fat quarters of the same type to make this one. Also, enough black fabric (instead of the brown) for the outside pieces.

Again, thank you.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

That'd be such an easy pattern to do .... I can visualize it with an assortment of florals. ooh la la!!! :)
Old 09-01-2011, 05:56 AM

Hi Donna,

I figured it up for you in EQ pretty quickly. For the size indicated, you'd need 2 1/2 yards of the brown/burgundy and 2 1/4 yards of the green. That is without any borders.

For fat quarters, divide the yardage by 4, so for the 2 1/2 yards of brown that would be ten FQs and then decide how many different fabrics you'd like to use. If you want to use five different fabrics for the brown, you'll need two fat quarters of each fabric. I would a few extra just to make sure I had enough.

Hope this helps and hope my math is right!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:22 AM

Like that pattern....thanks for sharing!!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH
Hi Donna,

I figured it up for you in EQ pretty quickly. For the size indicated, you'd need 2 1/2 yards of the brown/burgundy and 2 1/4 yards of the green. That is without any borders.

For fat quarters, divide the yardage by 4, so for the 2 1/2 yards of brown that would be ten FQs and then decide how many different fabrics you'd like to use. If you want to use five different fabrics for the brown, you'll need two fat quarters of each fabric. I would a few extra just to make sure I had enough.

Thank you so much Lynda! I am having one of those days where it would take me forever to come up with this... Wish they would have put it on the link, but she probably used what she had too! Again, thank you!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LyndaOH
Hi Donna,

You will need extra ... there'll be more wastage in the FQs than the WOF. It'd be pure luck if it worked out perfectly to converting to FQs.

Buy Extra ... and avoid disappointment!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:08 AM

Thanks also ponyriver for messaging me about this! You people are so nice to help others!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:11 AM

I was looking at a Moda pack with 12 fat quarters in it... That would give me a little extra there. I could probably get more too if I needed, but hopefully the 2 extra would be enough.

This is a really easy pattern. I've made it (baby sized) with scraps of brights and it turned out pretty nice. I liked it anyway!

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 09-01-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by donnaree59
Thank you so much Lynda! I am having one of those days where it would take me forever to come up with this... Wish they would have put it on the link, but she probably used what she had too! Again, thank you!
No problem - I've had those days myself!