Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help on hand quilting >

need help on hand quilting

need help on hand quilting

Old 06-10-2011, 01:45 PM

I'm new to this can I do a 6 inch square at a time. I'm doing a signerature quilt for my nephews wedding it's going to be red and white and blue The wedding is in September I want to do the other squares with stars to get them done fast by hand then after the wedding all i have to do is sew them together I don't know how can i do it. Please Help
Old 06-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

The method you are describing is called quilt as you go (QAYG). I myself have never done it but many on this board have. If you google quilt as you go, there are loads of tutorials on the net on how to join your prequilted squares but some methods involve hand sewing the sashing on the back.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Power Poster

Check your library for books by Georgia Bonesteel. I think she describes the quilt-as-you-go technique.

Also, if you Google quilt as you go, you will find both websites and Youtube videos that show how to do it.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:12 AM
Power Poster

you can quilt the blocks individually- then you add sashing strips to join them- there are a number of quilt as you go techniques- two to look at are (the cotton theory) and - the 6-hour quilt by elenor burns/quilt in a day.

the 6 hour quilt is different- as in you add strips to each side of a center- quilting each new addition- but if you look it over so you understand the process it will help you understand the process of adding the sashing strips- i would make the blocks then use the technique to add the strips just alot narrower than what her pattern calls for.
there are probably many tutorials on quilt as you go projects- and show us pic's as you go= when you have specific issues come up we can help.