Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help from Long Arm quilters with MINKY experience >

Need help from Long Arm quilters with MINKY experience

Need help from Long Arm quilters with MINKY experience

Old 06-25-2012, 12:07 PM

Angry Need help from Long Arm quilters with MINKY experience

Hi,
I have an HQ Avante and have been trying to help a friend to quilt her baby quilt using minky on the back of the quilt, cotton batting in-between. We have adjusted how tightly rolled the quilt is and the stitch length as well as the side tensions and put in a new needle. Although the stitching looks good, most of the stitches have minky pokies on the quilt top. It has the look of using a contrasting color on the back and the top tension too tight if that explains it. However, what we see is the minky, not the thread. Any suggestions?????
Pat
Old 06-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

are you using the correct size needle for the thread you are using? the (pokies) will probably disappear when the quilt is laundered- you didn't say what kind of minkie---is it the curly (long-haired) minkie or the smooth (like fleece) minkie?
it you are having stitch issues on the top of the quilt it is a bobbin tension problem--i'm unclear about this where you said- contrasting on the back and top tension too tight---the threads on the back (minkie side) should disappear in the nap of the fabric- loosen your top tension some if the top thread is showing on the back.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

This is just a guess, but perhaps a smaller needle wouldn't make a hole big enough to bring the Minkee to the top?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:30 PM

I've read about that being a problem in general when using minky. I don't know that is worry about it because I believe it will go away when laundered. The only thing I did differently is that I shook the minky out before using it to get rid of fuzzies and it was a really good quality one...yours may be just prone to it. I used a 19 needle so even a big needle didn't cause trouble. I really think it'll go away when laundered....