Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with matress sizes. >

Need help with matress sizes.

Need help with matress sizes.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:38 PM

Ok, calling on all of you for help.

I need to know what the measurements are of a qn size bed with a pillow top mattress. Specifically of a pillowtop on top and with a pillowtop on the top of the mattress and on the bottom of the mattress.

I am making the tonga nature wedding quilt for my son. He has a pillow top mattress (either one pillow or two), but he cannot measure it as he is serving in Afghanistan right now until the wedding. I am going to ask him if he remembers if it has one pillow or two when he calls again. Unfortunately he doesn't get to call very often with what he does.

I called his fiancee who is living with her parents. None of them have a pillowtop mattress. I have a Tempurpedic with no pillowtop and it is only about 8 inches thick. His apt is in Mississippi and I am in Montana, so no luck there either.

I just need to make sure that the quilt will hang low enough. I have called a few mattress stores, but not getting even close to the same answers. I have seen sheets at the stores say "fits a 15" or 18" mattress"....

If you could measure (at least the depth) of your pillowtop and let me know, I would appreciate it.

TIA
Old 07-24-2011, 12:49 PM

I strongly suspect that you should wait till he gets back, because mattresses come in such varied sizes it's going to be impossible to get this correct. I suggest that you make it as big as you want, don't bind it yet but have at least 12 inches of binding ready to put on when and if needed.

When we went hunting for a new mattress in about the 1980s, the whole thing confused us both. There were even then so many king sized ones we almost told them to just pick us out one and send it to our house.

There were baby mattresses, cot sized mattresses, bunk and twin sizes..and each of those came in regular, long and extra long. Then there was the double bed, and a standard bed..we never could understand the difference, if any between those two. And then there was the Queen bed, and one with an extra long mattress.
There was the usual king. A California King, an Eastern King, an extra long King, and at least one other I don't remember. And then there were the different brands, each one of which had a different depth, which now could range from that 8 inches deep to 20 for all I know. And that pillowtop? Who knows?

And one of my sisters and her DH had a mattress built to fit their much loved antique bed that had been hand made by a master carpenter. That mattress was different and she never could find sheets that fit well.

Better wait till he gets home to finish it, is my suggestion.

And besides, it's possible that they might later decide to get a King sized bed to match a new set of bedroom furniture.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:57 PM

All Queen size beds are 60x80....that is the top of the bed,,,so why not add 36 inches to the 60" width and add 18" to the 80" length...you should be ok with this size......and don't worry about being a perfect size for this particular bed....they won't have that bed forever....I have been making bed spreads and duvet covers for 15 yrs.....and unless they will use the quilt for a bedspread I would use the standard 60x80 size with a little hangover on sides.....hope this helps