Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help please! Yards and yards of wet fabric >

Need help please! Yards and yards of wet fabric

Need help please! Yards and yards of wet fabric

Old 09-18-2010, 07:23 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by DJRustic
I feel for you. I had about a foot of water in my basement one time. I washed over 80 loads. These were mostly bolts as I tend to by by the bolt.( back then I could buy wholesale) we had a sump pump go out. Any way I washed with odo- ban worked great. I have a mangle (bet some of you don't know what that is) & I ironed all 80 loads. what a headache. you can get through this, it just takes time.
I grew up with a mangle machine by the washer in the basement. Man, I have wished a hundred times that I had that old ironing machine; new ones can't live up to that workhorse for cotton/linen sheets. tableclothes, fabric yardage!!

Jan in VA
Old 09-18-2010, 07:28 AM

In 2008 we had 7 inches of rain in a few hours.My sewing rooms were flooded with 27 inches of sewer water.My fabric was in stacked totes. We found that totes float and then tip over.
I washed and dried 52 loads of fabric.There was no time to stitch edges.I used regular laundry detergent.
It was the most helpless feeling I have ever had. We carried the totes out of the basement and dumped the fabric on old screens,outside, so it could drip out.
It took several days to get it all done.
The positive thing is the basement is cleaned and the fabric is organized. New shelves built and totes are all at least 20 inches off the floor.
There was over $7000 in damages.
I only use those rooms for storage now. All our children are grown so I have moved the sewing machines to the family room.In one corner we left a recliner and a tv for doing hand work or for DH to watch nascar.
judy j
Old 09-18-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by cindyw
I found this forum the other day and have been reading here and there and really enjoying it. You guys are great! I hadn't planned on making any posts but I have an emergency.

I moved my sewing room to our basement. I'm in south Texas and basements aren't very common and maybe they don't know to make them here because ours leaks. The hurricane last week (the week before?) gave us appx 6" of rain in a day or two and, of course, the basement leaked.

I knew the basement leaks but what I didn't know was the cabinets I had installed on an outside basement wall would let water enter the back of the cabinets. Now about half of my fabric is damp/wet. I didn't discover it until today and it smells but I haven't found any mildew. (BTW, the contractor that installed the cabinets for me is also surprised water got into them and will try to figure out what to do to avoid this in the future.)

What do I do??? I know normally when you wash fabric you sew the raw edges but there are literally hundreds of pieces. (I inherited my mothers stash plus what I already had so it's a lot!) Can I wash it without sewing the raw edges? Will it be a big mess? Will it unravel much? Or should I just start sewing, washing and drying? I can't imagine how long that will take but I will do whatever is necessary.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!
snip all four corners and this will cut down on the raveling>
Old 09-18-2010, 07:31 AM

cutting the edges with pinking shears before washing will cut down on the fraying.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:41 AM

I would just wash and dry. I never sew my edges. Yes I do get lots of strings but I just cut them off.
Good luck. The longer you wait the more mold you will get
Old 09-18-2010, 07:48 AM

wash it now and dry them. Later you can snip and tear the ends to get them straight. You are going to have a mess of thread strings, just cut them off and clean out your washer.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:52 AM

Hi CindyW
I prewash all my fabric. I have not read all the posts, I had surgery and have not been on for quite some time. I just Clip a small corner on all of the 4 corners and it prevents most of the raveling. I also am fortunate to have outside clothes lines. I hang the fabric on the lines and let the wind and sun dry them. It seems to add back some of the body and cliping each corner off prevents most of the raveling. I fold it different than it was folded on the bolt and so as to change the center crease. I then press it before I begin to cut.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:10 AM

We had some stuff in storage and it got musty smelling. I put them in tubs with actived charcoal " you can get it at your pet store". I would put it in your cabinets before you put your fabric back in them, it really helped to get the musty smell out of books etc. We have had water run down our walls in the basement also if we have a heary rain. What a pain. I have even put my electric cords to my sewing machine on a shoe size tub setting up side down so that water can not get to them.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by cindyw
I moved my sewing room to our basement. I'm in south Texas and basements aren't very common and maybe they don't know to make them here because ours leaks. The hurricane last week (the week before?) gave us appx 6" of rain in a day or two and, of course, the basement leaked.

I knew the basement leaks but what I didn't know was the cabinets I had installed on an outside basement wall would let water enter the back of the cabinets. Now about half of my fabric is damp/wet. I didn't discover it until today and it smells but I haven't found any mildew. (BTW, the contractor that installed the cabinets for me is also surprised water got into them and will try to figure out what to do to avoid this in the future.)
Cindy, I'm sorry you've had this experience...been there, done that!
Here in the northeast where many homes are prone to water in the basements if they are near the shore, waterproofing with paint is a must, and many folks put in sump pumps, which will work to keep water from rising in the basement as long as you don't lose power in a storm.

As for keeping the fabrics dry in a wet or damp environment, storing on shelving which is lifted off the floor and away from walls is helpful. If your cabinets stand on the floor, put them up on cement blocks and pull them away from the walls, and then store your fabrics in bins with lock down lids. We actually used those industrial metal shelves (which you can buy at home improvement stores, or shelving places like the container store) and then put them on large caster wheels so you can wheel it away from the water if necessary. It will prevent a lot of the damage, should this happen again. Store fabrics of like color together, so that you are not storing lights against darks, whenever possible.

If you have cabinets that are fixed to the walls (as in kitchen style cabinets), I don't think there are many options except to pull them down and get them away from the walls. Wood, particle board, cardboard (as in bolts that fabrics are wrapped on) all wick the water right to the fabric.

Running a de-humidifier whenever possible, as well as airing the place on a good dry day is helpful as well.

Good luck with everything! Let us know how you make out!
Old 09-18-2010, 09:09 AM

Get it all together and go to the laundromat, save yourself time use vinegar in the wash Good Luck if I lived closer I would help you out