Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help for Quilt Idea >

Need Help for Quilt Idea

Need Help for Quilt Idea

Old 11-09-2010, 10:54 AM

I agree with the whole cloth idea. You could quilt around each square and put a nice border on it and it will be great and that way you don't lose any of the print. I did that with some fabric I bot online and it turned out to be a very nice quilt.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:18 AM

Love the fabric. Great for a sons bed. Me, I would take the easy way out. I would choose a color that compliments the quilt and use for the back and border. Then put in the batting and quilt stitch around each animal square.
garicarl
Old 11-09-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Windsong
I like the idea of keeping it all in one piece and putting borders around it and then maybe quilt around some if not all of the animals. That would make the animals stand out more. It is beautiful fabric!
I second that! :thumbup:
Old 11-09-2010, 01:17 PM

Yes, I vote for leaving it whole. It is such beautiful fabric and the border is too pretty pretty to lose. Some of my favorite quilts are "cheater" quilts. You could quilt around the animals to accentuate them.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:00 PM

The center portion of this quilt is whole cloth (the different angles-looks like patchwork). It came this way.
I did not cut it up and piece back together. Just in case everyone thought I had pieced this center section.

Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
Originally Posted by Dani
Here is a quilt where I used whole cloth and then then did patch work top and bottom, added a border with fussy cut corner blocks. This is made of flannel and given to my grandson when he turned 16. this is not my pattern and I cannot tell you who's it is off the top of my head. If anyone wants the name I will search my pattern box for it.

Dani
Beautiful quilt. I have given some thought to doing something like this, but I think I will leave the fabric intac t, make a center panel then put on borders. Thanks for your picture.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by ccb2200
Do you have enought to fussy cut and put a border or two around each fussy cut? I think that is what I would do with it. It really is beautiful fabric.
Same here, I would fussy cut the picture blocks and also some of the birds. Sure is lovely fabric
Old 11-09-2010, 05:31 PM

http://www.kayewoodtv.com
There are some good ideas from Kaye Wood on how to use this type of fabric in a quilt. She has a video on cutting them into large tumbling blocks - worthwhile watching her videos.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:17 PM

Check out Susan Teegarden Dissmore's quilting book "Clever Quilts Encore" on Amazon. I think they may show pictures on "look inside the book" that will give you ideas. The entire book is based on fussy cutting theme print fabrics and panels, then adding blocks, strips, triangles, slashing, borders, etc. Her ideas certainly are clever and very easy. You're going to have so much fun!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:21 PM

You could fussy cut each of the blocks and then add a 2" border to each one. After that, cut the blocks down to a standard size - some would have 2" border, some would have 1" border, etc.

I'm attaching a photo of a quilt I made out of a similar panel.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-122800.jpe  
Old 11-09-2010, 07:25 PM

LOVELY !!