Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help re: materials used in quilt >

Need help re: materials used in quilt

Need help re: materials used in quilt

Old 12-29-2017, 07:07 AM
pal

Default Need help re: materials used in quilt

I made a really fun quilt from a McCall's crafts pattern, 2444, called "An American Tradition. It has a cabin in the woods with bears, mittens, and snow people. I went all out on the embellishments using fleece for the dimensional carrot noses, fleece for the hats and scarves (flowing in the breeze) and jute for hair on the snow girl.

Now that it's ready to be quilted I'm having second thoughts. Is everything going to come off in the wash????

If it is, I'd rather take it all off now and redo it. Anyone have thoughts on this? Thanks for any and all input.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

Do you have a picture of it? It sounds adorable.
I would think if everything is sewn down it would be okay to wash, maybe a mild cycle?
Old 12-29-2017, 07:25 AM

It could be used as a wall hanging, not intended to be washed. It does sound really cute!
Old 12-29-2017, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

I would thread paint over the embellishments a bit with matching thread before quilting to secure them.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:57 AM

Are you quilting it, or are you sending it out for quilting? If you are sending it out, I would check with the LAQ to see what they prefer. I think if I had made this, I would have waited until it was quilted before embellishing the top.

If you will be quilting it, then you can work around the embellishments.

If you have sewn down the embellishments, I do not think they will fall off in the wash. If they are glued in place, then it maybe a problem.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:28 AM

I'm eager to see this quilt! It sounds so detailed. A labor of love, for sure.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:14 PM

I don't think felt washes well with agitation. You may have to hand soak it in the future, and just use the washing machine to spin it out. If you are sending it out to be longarmmed, quilting around embellishments is a huge PIA to the quilter. Those should be added after the quilting is done.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:37 AM

The fleece should be ok. The jute will deteriorate after a few washings. At least mine did. I used some for deer tails. They were short pieces, I glued with OK to Wash it glue, and sewed it down, but all is gone now. Wish I would have used something more washable. Or maybe it was just the jute that I used. Maybe you could take some of the jute and wash it, soak it, etc. and see what it does. Or could you find an unusual yarn to use for the hair? Would love to see your quilt!
Old 12-30-2017, 04:57 PM

I might recommend in place of the jute for hair to use some type of embroidery floss or thread such as Valdani and anchor it in a few places.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:50 PM

I wanted to see the pattern, but McCalls 2444 craft pattern just seems to be reindeer. Is this the correct number?