Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need Help with scalloped borders

Blog Entries

Need Help with scalloped borders

I have just completed a card trick pattern on a quilt and would like to try a scalloped border on it for a change. I remember seeing Eleanor Burns doing this one time but cannot find it. Do any of you talented people know of an easy way to do it. My border is 3ins wide but I suppose you really need the length of each side!!! do you. Many thanks in anticipation.

Eleanor Burns does have a ruler for making scallops......!! The directions are easy, pre-determined measurements in the directions too... My first attempt using her method and ruler turned out great...

Quote Originally Posted by newjeepgreen View Post
    I have just completed a card trick pattern on a quilt and would like to try a scalloped border on it for a change. I remember seeing Eleanor Burns doing this one time but cannot find it. Do any of you talented people know of an easy way to do it. My border is 3ins wide but I suppose you really need the length of each side!!! do you. Many thanks in anticipation.
    Have an inspring day!
    Sandi

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have seen a tutorial on the Missouri Star Company on youtube how to figure out scalloped borders.

And if you face the scallops (rather than traditional binding) it will be much easier and will lie flat.

Blog Entries
    do a search for scalloped borders- there are tutorials =
    most i've seen (and the way i do it) is using freezer paper to create the scallops the length of the border- press the freezer paper to the fabric- and cut out the scallopes.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

that missouri star tute is the best i have seen. she uses the eleanor burns ruler. the best tip i got was to use actual bias binding to go around those curves easier.
    pdcakm alias pat
    If things go wrong, don't go with them. ~Roger Babson

I did my first ever scalloped border using Eddie's tute on here. He did a 6 inch border - but the principle is the same. Mine came out fabulously!!

I did my first scalloped border recently using the Eleanor Burns template/ruler for which the MQC has a tutorial. I ordered mine from them and received it very quickly. I then found a great video on the McCall's quilting website for making the bias binding which you need for the scallops. It turned out so well, I was just so pleased! I might add that I am not a real experienced quilter by any means. I can't wait to do another one. Good luck!