Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help >

Need Help

Need Help

Old 10-02-2011, 06:54 AM

Wow. It's so nice to have this board to come to for advice and support. Thank you everyone p, for both!!!!!

I think I had decided on a rag quilt, but now am worried about the weight. Was planning to do 3 layers of flannel, but can see how that might get heavy. Maybe the top layer with cotton and the bottom two with flannel????
Old 10-02-2011, 07:10 AM

I volunteer in the chemo unit of my local hospital so I see lots of lovely quilts and blankets. In my opinion -- do not use pink & white simply because it would get dirty too fast. Patients do eat & drink while undergoing chemo and stuff gets dropped onto the blankets; plus there is the problem of fluids/blood from an IV.

Other than that, I suggest bright, cheerful colors. Make any pattern you feel comfortable with but do make it extra long. My patients recline in a reclining chair and they need to be covered from their neck down to their toes (wrap around the feet). Chemo (actually any IV) makes patients chilly so these quilts/blankets are truly used and loved.

One last suggestion, make the backing from flannel so that it won't slip off your lap easily.

Good luck and I can guarantee that whatever you make, your friend will feel your love every time she uses the quilt.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

Sooo ...... if it's a take-to-chemo quilt .... from the posts it looks like the best "sandwich" would be flannelette backing, poly batting, and cotton front, with mindfulness to the colour choices.

Provides non-slip, squishy, light, fluffy and easy to carry.

On another thought ... is this quilt to be an at-home quilt? Then that may change your thoughts as to the overall structure and colours!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:36 AM

Just sent you a PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:58 AM

I agree with what a lot of others have posted. Make something out of colors she enjoys, colors that make her feel good, and it doesn't have to be anything fancy, it will be the thought and the love you put into it that will make it most special for her.

Prayers for your friend and all she will have to go through
Old 10-02-2011, 11:09 AM

DITTO
Old 10-02-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltinvaca
I volunteer in the chemo unit of my local hospital so I see lots of lovely quilts and blankets. In my opinion -- do not use pink & white simply because it would get dirty too fast. Patients do eat & drink while undergoing chemo and stuff gets dropped onto the blankets; plus there is the problem of fluids/blood from an IV.

Other than that, I suggest bright, cheerful colors. Make any pattern you feel comfortable with but do make it extra long. My patients recline in a reclining chair and they need to be covered from their neck down to their toes (wrap around the feet). Chemo (actually any IV) makes patients chilly so these quilts/blankets are truly used and loved.

One last suggestion, make the backing from flannel so that it won't slip off your lap easily.

Good luck and I can guarantee that whatever you make, your friend will feel your love every time she uses the quilt.
you are so right, one of my daughters just finished her bout with kidney failure / dyailss 3 times per week, the nice warm blankets/quilts sure were a loving gift.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:42 AM

I, too, am a cancer survivor and I didn't have a quilt to lug with me to Chemo -- When you have that IV of chemo running in you, you can get cold. Plus, if you are chewing on ice to reduce the possibility of mouth sores, well, it's COLD.

This is a very thoughtful thing for you to do. Yes, cancer does take control of every area of your life while you are going through and for some years after as you go through all the follow up. But, I'm in the minority, a pink quilt wouldn't have bothered me at all because after I got past the initial shock that I had cancer -- it was reality -- I had cancer and I was dealing with it.

But, the colors probably don't matter that much. It's your act of kindness and care and generosity that will be appreciated more than anything!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

I'm sure to go the least accepted way on this subject. I do not want to become the cancer. every time i see pink I want to retch and I love pink.
Make a quilt because you love her not because she has cancer. And call it the I love you quilt, and not a cancer quilt. I do hope all goes well for her.
peace
Old 10-02-2011, 03:04 PM

I agree with ube quilting, when I had breast cancer (2 yrs free now) someone gave me a pink cancer quilt and I gave it away. I did not want to be reminded.