Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help >

Need help

Need help

Old 03-27-2013, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
If you are a good quilter, the pinkish thread would look wonderful on the off white areas. Since I'm not good quilter, I'd match the thread to the area I was quilting to hide it as much as possible.

If I could quilt like I do in my dreams, I'd QID around all the stars and then do a great motif in each of the little pinkish squares using off white thread and in each of the off white squares using pinkish thread. Alas, this is a fantasy for now.
Sounds like lovely ideas to me. For me, it is still a fantasy to try something like that. But I will one day. Your quilt is lovely. Hope to see it after you have quilted it.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

Me I would match to the area of color. Or go neutral. Beautiful quilt.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:03 AM

My vote is for tan or taupe and a bit more fancy quilting in the sqaures.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:16 AM

A beautiful quilt; beautiful fabric. No suggestion for quilting.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:29 AM

Personally I feel that the quilting, while it can enhance greatly, should not compete with, but compliment, the quilt itself. You have a beautiful quilt made and I think you would distract from the overall effect if you used colors in the white area. I have seen award winning quilts which, the more you look, the more you see. At first most of us don't see the quilting, but upon closer inspection it is a thrill to discover the beautiful designs quilted in. It makes the quilt a venture of discovery.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:37 AM
QM
Power Poster

Nice top. I would FMQ a floral design in off white on the star centers and the other squares, not quilt the star points and something like a vine on the off white with an old rose. The outer border I'd do with a deep rose feather with off white vines on the inner border. Of course, that's me. Do something you are comfortable with that complements the pattern elements.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:54 AM

The first color thread I would try would be a tan/taupe variegated thread...I would pull off a bunch on the burgundy pink area to see how it looks there. You can tell how the color will look by doing that.

As for the quilting, I am always at a loss on 'how' to quilt something. I have a baby quilt that has been pin basted and waiting for 10 days and thinking I am going to end up just meandering simply because I cannot make up my mind what to do and it needs to be done by the end of April.

as to HOW to quilt it,
Old 03-27-2013, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

In the last few years I have become a fan of variegated thread, cotton or Rayon for my quilts. I especially like using the Rayon thread on some of my simpler quilts just to give it a little zip. Whatever you do, it will be beautiful, just like your quilt.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:20 PM

I love the quilt and wonder if there is a pattern name?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

If I were doing this quilt I would do a cream color for the whole quilt, any way I quilted it. It is a very pretty quilt and wouldn't want quilting to distract from the pieced work. A cream would not be invisible but not overwhelm the beauty of the pattern. If special quilting were to be used in the background area it will be pretty without showing to much.
peace