Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help understanding why I don't like to do certain quilts or blocks? >

Need help understanding why I don't like to do certain quilts or blocks?

Need help understanding why I don't like to do certain quilts or blocks?

Old 08-31-2016, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

Scrappy doesn't bother me I can put orange stripes next to lime green calico and call it a block. Now hand applique is something I don't understand why anyone would want to do, I have tried and don't care for it at all. Sunbonnet Sue will never be under my needle.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

I am/was a matchy matchy quilter. I would pick out a print, then take colors out of the print. Solids, blenders whatever.
Since I have lots of scraps because of the amount of quilts I have made, I had to just start making scrappy quilts.
It wasn't real hard, just started sewing strips together. Used sashing all the same fabric and I liked them. I give most of my quilts away and no matter the colors or patterns they are still well sewn and warm.

Remember different strokes for different folks.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

​I do controlled scrappy rather then random scrappy.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:15 PM

Can't say I won't ever make a scrappy quilt, but I'm not planning on it. I can add sun bonnet sue, wedding ring and cathedral window to that list. I've seen and appreciated many beautiful quilts in those patterns, but I have no desire to make any of them. They're just not my thing. My bucket list of quilts I want to make is so long, I need at least another 50 years to accomplish all of them! Everyone has styles and patterns that call to them, and those that don't. This is what makes the quilting world go 'round!
Old 08-31-2016, 07:17 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I consider quilting an art form. I certainly don't like all styles of art equally, but I can appreciate the effort and the talent that goes into each piece nonetheless.

Quilts are the same. I don't like scrappy quilts at all and have gone almost 50 years without making one. I do, however, understand the pleasure they give to other quilters and users and that's what matters I believe.

There's no real need to understand 'why' you don't like making them is there? It's just not your taste/style. Simple as that. Better to pour your time and talent into a quilt style that you love because that love always shows in the end product.
She said exactly what I was thinking.
Unless you are in a class or are making a commission quilt, create what speaks to you, makes your heart sing, and forego the other styles, colors, designs, and fabrics. There will be plenty to keep you happy for years and years!

Jan in VA
Old 08-31-2016, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​I do controlled scrappy rather then random scrappy.
This is me -- I have to control the scrappy or I can't do it. My mind cannot handle random -- it craves order. When I say controlled, I mean I organize the colors and decide if I want to use fabrics with light or dark background for the block -- my background is chosen to contrast with the other fabrics (if I use light background, then the background is dark, etc). Even so, I struggle with scrap quilts so I mostly make other kinds of quilts.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:25 PM

My friend just used 85 different unmatched fabrics in a quilt. It looks good, but it's not my style. I'm in the matchy matchy corner. My thing is I don't like to make big quilts. Quilting should be fun, so everyone should just do what makes them happy.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

Make the quilts that make you happy and be comfortable with your own choices.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:19 PM

I love scrappy......I feel like I am taking randomness and giving it order and uniqueness. .
Old 09-01-2016, 02:28 AM

After reading all the responses I think the reason I am not fond of scrap quilts is that as one poster mentioned - there is nowhere for my eyes to rest. I certainly respect the amount of thought, work and talent it takes to make a scrappy quilt but they are not my style either. I'm not necessarily into matchy matchy either but I do prefer a relatively limited number of fabrics and symmetry. Just my taste. Also not fond of sampler quilts for the same reasons, I suppose.