Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with Viking Sapphire >

Need help with Viking Sapphire

Need help with Viking Sapphire

Old 08-15-2019, 09:34 AM

Default Need help with Viking Sapphire

I took my Sapphire in to be cleaned and to repair the needle threader. It will cost $600+ to repair the threader as they are telling me they have to replace the whole head. This machine is 6 years old! Has anybody had this problem with the threader and if so how was it fixed.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

Yikes! My Bernina needle threader broke and they did have to replace the part that broke but it was about $150 with my cleaning included. A needle threader is handy but at that price, I think I would thread by hand.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

Wow, I agree with Tartan. I also broke my needle threader on my Bernina and they fixed it without replacing the entire head, but I do have an older machine and the needle threader is mechanical, not something where I simply push a button. I think I would forego that repair and buy one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Machine...AJ4EZ9HK9D49HQ
Old 08-15-2019, 12:31 PM

I definitely wouldn't be repairing it for the amount of money, but I'm so used to using the vintage machines that I don't much think about using a needle threader.

I might consider one of those for my vintage machines, feline fanatic. Most of the time I have no trouble threading them but once in a while when I'm working late on something it would be a help to have a threader. I have used those little metal ones with wire loop and they work okay.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:08 PM

Can you check with a different repair person or the company? Seems like over-kill to replace the entire head.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:24 PM

See if you can find the part number to replace the threader. It looks like there are a couple of screws holding it in place. Search for tutorials to help you fix the issue.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:01 PM

You need to run from that repair shop fast! Any repairman that tells you a threader has anything to do with the head has no business touching a machine. I would get a estimate in writing from them, describing the problem, and solution with part numbers and prices..(tell them it's for your husband )then I would email that directly to Viking main office.You can get a new threader here...less than 50 dollars retail, and install it yourself

https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/ne...129420-01.aspx

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-15-2019 at 04:43 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-16-2019, 03:51 AM

I have a different (slightly older) Viking. Frankly, I've never had much luck with the threader working overly well so just use one of the little metal threaders with the loop on the end. Bend the loop 90 degrees to get it more easily into the machine needle.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:19 AM

I too would not pay that much - seems like a rip off to me. But - if you use it and it is necessary, then I would find another place to take it. I was just googling - and the needle threader as an individual part is not that expensive . Did they find something else wrong with it as well?

Threaders are finicky and on most of the machines I have had they have stopped working correctly after a while. NJ Quilter has a great suggestion - the other option is old fashion bees wax. Run your thread end several times through the wax then with a sharp pair of scissors clip the end at an angle. The thread will be stiff and go through the eye easily. This is how I thread my featherweight, the under loopers on the serger and my long arm.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:07 AM

That seems to be a standard problem with the Viking Sapphire. That is a crazy price it seems to me.