Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need Help--What To Do With This Fabric?? >
  • Need Help--What To Do With This Fabric??

• Need Help--What To Do With This Fabric??

Old 02-02-2011, 07:37 PM
    Power Poster

I would cut out the big bears, add sashing and use the smaller bears in the outside border
    Old 02-02-2011, 08:01 PM

I would cut the bears into rectangles with sashing between them and use some of the small bears as corner stones. And use them in the border. There are many colors to be used with the quilt. Dark brown would "pop" the bears, White circles around the small bears or squares a cornerstones. Or the small bears could be appliqued on pink and white 9 patch. Red polka dot could be use as a border and light brown could be used as a borders with dark brown binding... just a few suggestions.
    Old 02-02-2011, 09:43 PM

Cute fabric! LOTS of good ideas. The large bears are LARGE. So, one bear design is over 12", the other about 11". Those little bears ain't so little, looking @ 7"x5" or so? and are the same design.... (I'm probably reading those rulers wrong - am I?) It appears you're showing over a yard. Do you have more of that fabric?

I like erstan947's quilt. Using it as the basic idea... For the center of the (lap?) quilt: Showcase the 2 different large bears diagonal to the other, and "border" each bear with alternate thin strips of color (pink..white..) to make them the same size. Add a square or rectangle of smallish design (Valentine?) heart fabric in say... pink or white background (a light fabric) to one side of each bear - making the heart fabric the same *size as the bears (*including the thin strips "border" as part of the bear's size) - to make a kind of 4-patch. The 4-patch can be more rectangular, depending on how you border the bears. Then put a thin (red? maybe a little darker red? instead of trying to 'match' reds) border around the 4-patch, and add another "just a leetle bit" wider border of the heart fabric. Using lighter fabrics like the pink and / or white will make those bears Pop!

The idea of cutting and using the smaller bears in strips for a wide border would be a cute next addition. Add a (last?) border of alternating little squares or rectangles of the heart fabric, the strips of color (used around the center bears, but in squares or rectangles), and the (darker?) red. Echo quilting the bears, and/or quilting hearts - something simple can be a nice finish.

With the bear fabric you have, and the additional "border" fabrics, I'm thinking you could probably get at least a couple of lap quilts. With the other large bears (being they Are LARGE), you could also get two or more different pillows AND the smaller individual 'stuffed' bears. (As a kid, I had to share EvERything with my younger sister. I always wanted something of my own {selfish little brat of me :oops: }). No, you probably don't have time for anything extra - until later :wink: .

This next part you probably already know... 8-), but for them that do not: Don't forget to wash the fabrics first, especially the reds (bear) fabric. Do you have Retayne or Synthrapol? In case you aren't aware of it... Retayne is good product which is for commercially dyed fabrics. It's used in your washing machine without other additives (detergent, boosters..) It's used to retain the dyes. Synthrapol is usually for hand-dyed fabric; to discharge any "extra" dyes. FOLLOW their directions on the bottle. I use them both for hand-dyed and commercially-dyed fabrics. I found them at my LQS; I think I've seen them at places like Ben Franklin and Michael's craft stores.

By the length of my post, one would think *maybe* I might know what I'm writing about... HA - fooled y'all! The experienced quilters know different. But, thank you for letting me share!

p.s. I'm not a fan of the color brown, esp., for girls.
    Also, being an exec sec'y, admin asst.. in a previous life, for the life of me, I cannot seem to write succinctly :| . You'd think it'd be the opposite?...
    Old 02-02-2011, 10:45 PM

Pillowcases, runner, placemats?
    Old 02-02-2011, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by DeniseP
    I think it would make a really cute backing for a bear quilt.
    This has my vote!
    Old 02-03-2011, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Janet My
    Keep it whole and make a lap quilt and add some boarders. Outline the bears with quilting and put quilted hearts in the open areas.

I like the fabric... wish I had a little girl to make it for.
    This sounds like a good idea. :)
    Old 02-03-2011, 01:30 AM

It would make some wonderful pillowcases too!
    Old 02-03-2011, 08:19 AM
    Power Poster

i would make a pillow case, and pick a solid color for the end pc, and embroider (by hasnd or machie)
    "I Love Your Beary Much"
    Old 02-03-2011, 05:11 PM

Seems to me there is enough space between the rows of the strips of large bear with 4 small bears around them to make a strip, probably 45 inches wide by 60 Inches long + whatever boarder you wish to use, After the bears are cut into strips, determine what color you want the joining strip to be. I would use a brown biege red checked design about 3 inches wide and a 2.5 inch strip of Red on each side of it. stack them 1. a checked strip 2. a bear srip 3. checked strip until itis apx 45 x 60 (if possible) then add 12 inch border of checked strip to make a twin size quilt, 57
    x 72 inches.of the checked and red and white cut into strips. Don't know if tis is clear or not. Let me know and when you let me know, I
    Old 02-04-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ps 150
    I was given some Teddy Bear Valentine's Day Fabric but not sure what to do with it. I've had it out for a while now and no inspiration has come to me. My girls love it and I just know it's meant for a quilt for them but I can't think of any patterns that this would work with, especially considering the varied sizes of the bears. Any thoughts?
    You can iron on wonder under for the larger bear and applique to a t-shirt. I am doing a St Patricks Day bear to one.