Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Helpful Hints on Mitered Corners >

Need Helpful Hints on Mitered Corners

Need Helpful Hints on Mitered Corners

Old 07-23-2011, 10:12 PM

I am finishing a quilt that has several borders with mitered corners. Does anyone have any helpful hints to make this easier?
Old 07-23-2011, 10:14 PM

As in if you have three boarders on each side. sew all three sides per boarder together first. Then do as a regular miter corner on a quilt. Just make sure each of your boarders per side are aligned. hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:29 PM

I just did one of these myself for the first time. You sew all the strips on all 4 sides, almost right up to the corner. Then take one side and fold it up at a 45 deg angle so the side seams are laying on top of each other and the border pieces are laying right sides together straight. Then use your long ruler, lay it on top of the folded edge, right at the edge of the fold, and extending out over where the border pieces are. It should go across them at a 45 deg angle. Use a marker (pencil, purple, etc.) and mark along the ruler edge. Remove the ruler, and sew from the outside edge inward, until you get to where the 2 side seams come together at the corner. Backstitch. After you open it up, see if it's OK. Then trim. Wish I had pictures. It took me a couple of times to get it right, but then the third and fourth sides came out great.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
I just did one of these myself for the first time. You sew all the strips on all 4 sides, almost right up to the corner. Then take one side and fold it up at a 45 deg angle so the side seams are laying on top of each other and the border pieces are laying right sides together straight. Then use your long ruler, lay it on top of the folded edge, right at the edge of the fold, and extending out over where the border pieces are. It should go across them at a 45 deg angle. Use a marker (pencil, purple, etc.) and mark along the ruler edge. Remove the ruler, and sew from the outside edge inward, until you get to where the 2 side seams come together at the corner. Backstitch. After you open it up, see if it's OK. Then trim. Wish I had pictures. It took me a couple of times to get it right, but then the third and fourth sides came out great.
Yep. What she s said.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110
Originally Posted by jljack
Yep. What she s said.
Ditto. Put the borders together first, then attach and treat as one piece of fabric when doing your miters.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:47 AM

Mskr sure your borders are longer than the width of the borders on all sides.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:04 AM

I love Pittsburgpam's tutorial:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-21057-1.htm
Old 07-24-2011, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

There are lots of great tutorials on here.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:09 AM

Thanks - and the tutorial was very good. Will let you know later how everything came out.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:47 AM

Definitely sew all your borders together first then do your mitering. Far, far easier.