Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much longer.... >

How much longer....

How much longer....

Old 07-26-2011, 09:11 AM

How much longer is my search for a FM machine going tocontinue? I have been on this treasure hunt and have finally narrowed my choice down to two machines and leaning very heavily toward one of them but both are almost identical. I was having dinner out with my son and DIL last night and was telling them about this search and during the conversationthey inducated it would be nice for the machine to be able to be used when they needed to repair a damaged horse blanket and also on upholstering projects. So now I'm back into searching with these two latest addition tossed into the 'want' list. Anyone have any suggestions for a machine to cover these three things (FMQ/repairing torn horse blankets as well as doing a bit of upholstering)???????? HELP! (Yes, I am yelling for help!) Thanks to anyone who has a suggestion.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Well, I have a Viking SE, it will FMQ, piece, embroider and has no problem hemming jeans. I also make tote bags from upholstery fabric and use flat felled seams, so that's several layers of heavy fabric. Check with a dealer to see if a trade-in is available.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:29 AM

I don't know what's involved in repairing horse blankets (or even what horse blankets are made of), but would a straight stitch only machine such as a Juki 98 or 2010, or Brother 1500/BabyLock Jane be sufficient? These are supposedly more heavy-duty that most domestic machines, though still not industrial grade. They have 9" harps and are reportedly great for FMQ.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:32 AM

I would suggest they buy their own machine and get the machine that works best for you for machine quilting!!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Maia B
I don't know what's involved in repairing horse blankets (or even what horse blankets are made of), but would a straight stitch only machine such as a Juki 98 or 2010, or Brother 1500/BabyLock Jane be sufficient? These are supposedly more heavy-duty that most domestic machines, though still not industrial grade. They have 9" harps and are reportedly great for FMQ.
I agree. It was between the Juki 98 and the Brother 1500 when I was looking for a FMQ machine. I got the 1500. Since I wasn't going to do any regular sewing on them, I didn't check to see what all they could sew on - you could check the specs to see.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I would suggest they buy their own machine and get the machine that works best for you for machine quilting!!
I whole heartedly agree. Let them search craiglist and so forth for their own. I don't think I'd want to be using my quilting machine on dirty horse blankets, etc...
Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 AM

I agree that your kids need a machine of their own..I wouldn't want to be sewing a heavy horse blanket on an expensive quilting machine. I was at a laundry mat and they had huge signs that said "DO NOT WASH HORSE BLANKETS OR ANY ANIMAL BEDDING IN OUR MACHINES" They had an attendant there watching what people were loading into the machines. I was there washing my quilts and she came over to look at them while I was putting them in the machine. They are ones we use on the beds not for animals. crafty_lind_b
Old 07-26-2011, 09:48 AM

I tend to agree with others. I would think some of the "old-old" working machines are actually better suited for the children's needs - where your free motion would be more computerized. They are expensive machines and taxing them isn't always the best answer. The thread used in a horse blanket & upholstery isn't good for the new computerized machines according to my dealer. Uses are totally different and new machines aren't set up for that heavy of a thread needed.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Maybe a used Juki just for these kind of extras? They are work horses and I have seen them used for a very reasonable price :D:D:D
Old 07-26-2011, 10:00 AM

I used to repair horse blankets at the leather shop I worked in. That is the dirtiest and nastiest job I ever had. Even if they are freshly laundered, they still reek, and you end up reeking as well. You gotta really love the smell of a horses rear-end to do this. If your DH and DS really want to do this, let them get their own industrial machine and set it up in the garage, but NOT in your sewing room. I am serious as a heart attack on that point! :-)