Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much longer.... >

How much longer....

How much longer....

Old 07-27-2011, 08:40 AM

I've been thinking about a new machine. DH mentioned he wanted to make new seat covers for the jeep and would like me to get a machine that would let him sew heavy fabric and denim. After a little research, he is getting his own machine.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:52 AM

AZWENDYG, I've come to that conclusion also, there isn't one machine to cover everything. BARBARASUE - no, my son and DIL aren't wanting me to get the machine and do their work as it was my idea to look for a do-all machine we could all use. They know how to do their thing. I now know what I'm going to do so will keep everyone posted when I make my purchase. Again, thanks for everyone's help.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:29 AM

You need to have a machine to yourself for when you want it. They can get a cheap machine to do what they need or even get a thrift store find. If yours is yours and you leave a project on it so you can go do something else it's nice to know it'll still be there when you return.
You'll probably spend alot of money on the one you want and getting the tension just the way you want and knowing that the last time you used it the needle was good are things that will be valuable to you.
You don't want to have to adjust it or change the needle each time because you don't know what or if they used it. I'm sure a horse blanket would dull a needle.
Last year when I started quilting again and my daughter wanted to do it; I gave her my old machine; I bought a new one for sewing, and one Viking mega quilter for quilting; I like multi-tasking and this way I dont't have to keep changing out the thread in the middle of a project. My daughter doesn't even sew in my room; it's small and it's mine.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by gaevren
My sewing machines and sewing room were my present for graduating college last spring. I already knew what I wanted for embroidery and sewing machine and serger, but then I started looking around for something else. I knew I wanted to do some heavy duty projects (leather and upholstery and so forth) but I didn't want to tax my brand new electronic machine that way.

After a great deal of searching and research I bought a Singer 15-91 on eBay. I paid over $300, and the machine no longer has ANY antique value due to its repainting job, but it had been refurbished till it was literally like new inside out and would be the workhorse I needed. I wasn't getting it to sit around and just be an antique! The only thing it didn't come with was a table, but my local dealer works on any and every machine and he was able to find me a table for that exact machine (he said he gets them all the time and he just gave it to me!!)

The machine runs like a dream, and came with a lot of parts, accessories, stitching samples, and an owner's manual. I absolutely feel like I got my money's worth. I would highly recommend looking at some of the older metal machines as a potential workhorse- you don't have to even get all crazy like I did!

Here's a picture of my baby:
I agree - go to the vintage shop on this board & ask that question. I've seen many posts about the older metal singers that are work horses and they don't cost an arm & a leg.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:41 AM

Singer has industrial machines that would probably work for that, I think they will sew through anything, I agree I would not use my quilting machine on heavy stuff like that, I have a gammill and it is a work horse, but I am very careful when sewing over bulky seams, I don't want to take a chance on breaking a needle and throwing it out of time.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
I think that I wouldn't attempt to stitch horse blankets on a new machine. The chance of hair or dust harming your machine would be an ongoing possibility. I'd suggest an older Singer either a 201 or 15-91 as these are heavy, simple and powerful. I regularly stitch heavy multi layer denim and duck coveralls on my 201 and it doesn't balk, growl, jam or break needles.Last night I made a bag out of upholstery that was lined and quilted and that was no problem either. I also FM on my 201 as the feed dogs drop by turning a screw and pushing a lever and then tightning the screw again. The best part about my 201 is that I got it free and only had to pay $70 to get it cleaned, serviced and re-wired.
I have to agree with these suggestions....those older Singers are solid metal components and withstand the heaviest use. Perfect for horse blankets and upholstery.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I would suggest they buy their own machine and get the machine that works best for you for machine quilting!!
Exactly what I was thinking! i'd get what you want for FMQ and look for a used industrial machine for them to purchase for THEIR needs!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:24 PM

Aren't horse blankets made out of coarse fiber that sheds?
Who is going to do this sewing?
Will you adopt me? :)
Old 07-27-2011, 03:46 PM

I have a Designer SE and I repaired a damaged horse blanket and it was very hard. It also put alot of dirt/lint inside my machine and had to have it serviced. I'd get a Juki 98Q, it sews thru everything like butter and it's great to quilt with.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I would suggest they buy their own machine and get the machine that works best for you for machine quilting!!
Yes, yes, yes! They need to buy their own machine for these heavy duty projects.