Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much longer.... >

How much longer....

How much longer....

Old 07-27-2011, 04:34 AM

Industrial machine for your horsey stuff...don't use a more 'delicate' sewing machine. Consew industrial for sale at Threads of Time in Danville IL for $1000. Long harp, sit down table, good for all sorts of heavy duty work.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:36 AM

With Horse Blankets and Upholstery fabrics you want a Heavy Thread and a Big needle, and Longer Stitches. Put your sewing machines to the test: How big of a stitch can it make? What is the biggest Needle available for that specific machine?
Old 07-27-2011, 05:22 AM

Thanks for all your helpful tips! That's what I needed. I have decided I'll not be buying this machine for the heavier and, in the case of the horse blankets, dirtier things. In the meantime, I'll check out the place in Danville
Old 07-27-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I would suggest they buy their own machine and get the machine that works best for you for machine quilting!!

Exactly.....I really don't think you want to mess with your quilting machine and try doing things that it isn't designed for. A second and much cheaper machine will do the job for the horse blankets!
Old 07-27-2011, 05:39 AM

I know that there are a lot of machines (Domestic) machines that can handle heavy duty sewing but for their purposes, I would suggest a good used commercial machine.My mom used to be in the reupholstering business and trust me, you do not want to use your good sewing machine for reupholstering (even though it can be done). Industrial machines can handle greater stress and use heavier thread to make the strength last longer.Maybe you could help them search one out.
Just decide on a machine that you feel comfortable with for yourself. The only way to know is to have someone demonstrate and you try it out for yourself. Another thing I feel is important is the service the dealer or maker provides. Do they offer free classes on how to use the machine? What is their service policy? How easy are additional parts procured? Are they expensive? Just a few thoughts. I personally stand by Bernina and Viking and have heard a lot about the new Janome but ultimately, it is up to you.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by amma
Maybe a used Juki just for these kind of extras? They are work horses and I have seen them used for a very reasonable price :D:D:D
I was going to suggest a Juki as well!
Old 07-27-2011, 06:07 AM

Good Luck. I agree that you should have yur machine for FMQ and not worry about doing horse blankets. Sounds like they wanted free sewing for a job they wouldn't/couldn't do themselves. I have kids like that!
Old 07-27-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by dottientx
How much longer is my search for a FM machine going tocontinue? I have been on this treasure hunt and have finally narrowed my choice down to two machines and leaning very heavily toward one of them but both are almost identical. I was having dinner out with my son and DIL last night and was telling them about this search and during the conversationthey inducated it would be nice for the machine to be able to be used when they needed to repair a damaged horse blanket and also on upholstering projects. So now I'm back into searching with these two latest addition tossed into the 'want' list. Anyone have any suggestions for a machine to cover these three things (FMQ/repairing torn horse blankets as well as doing a bit of upholstering)???????? HELP! (Yes, I am yelling for help!) Thanks to anyone who has a suggestion.
If you are not looking for a long arm, I would recommend the old Singer model either 15-91 or 201, they both have a direct drive motor, and plenty of heft to do all the things you mentioned. They are both straight stitch and can be had at a pretty reasonable price. Both have the ability to drop the feed dogs which is great with FMQ. Good Luck :-D
Old 07-27-2011, 06:49 AM

Speaking as someone who does a lot of FMQ AND sews up horse (mule) blankets on a regular basis, I don't think there is a perfect machine for doing both tasks. I use a Juki TL 98 for quilting and have a Chandler upholstery machine (any brnad upholstery machine would certainly work) that i use for sewing up those heavy, thick blankets. There's just no way a domestic machine can handle the thickness of canvas or cordura PLUS lining PLUS strapping PLUS that thick edge binding used on horse blankets. On the other hand, the upholstery machine powers right through it. You should also be using MUCH heavier thread and larger needle for horse blankets than you can/should use on a quilting machine.

So, my advise is get your dream quilting machine, and let them get what they need to sew up horse blankets!

Wendy
Old 07-27-2011, 07:41 AM

How about using your old machine for the horse blankets-- and the sparkley new machine for delicious quilt fabric !!

Maybe the old machine could end up at the kids house and they could do the repair work themselves?

My other thought is a nice 'used machine' from a garage sale for the horse blankets. (-am a city girl and have no idea what it takes to repair them-- just an idea)

GOOD LUCK