Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much longer.... >

How much longer....

How much longer....

Old 07-26-2011, 10:09 AM

I think that I wouldn't attempt to stitch horse blankets on a new machine. The chance of hair or dust harming your machine would be an ongoing possibility. I'd suggest an older Singer either a 201 or 15-91 as these are heavy, simple and powerful. I regularly stitch heavy multi layer denim and duck coveralls on my 201 and it doesn't balk, growl, jam or break needles.Last night I made a bag out of upholstery that was lined and quilted and that was no problem either. I also FM on my 201 as the feed dogs drop by turning a screw and pushing a lever and then tightning the screw again. The best part about my 201 is that I got it free and only had to pay $70 to get it cleaned, serviced and re-wired.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:17 AM

My sewing machines and sewing room were my present for graduating college last spring. I already knew what I wanted for embroidery and sewing machine and serger, but then I started looking around for something else. I knew I wanted to do some heavy duty projects (leather and upholstery and so forth) but I didn't want to tax my brand new electronic machine that way.

After a great deal of searching and research I bought a Singer 15-91 on eBay. I paid over $300, and the machine no longer has ANY antique value due to its repainting job, but it had been refurbished till it was literally like new inside out and would be the workhorse I needed. I wasn't getting it to sit around and just be an antique! The only thing it didn't come with was a table, but my local dealer works on any and every machine and he was able to find me a table for that exact machine (he said he gets them all the time and he just gave it to me!!)

The machine runs like a dream, and came with a lot of parts, accessories, stitching samples, and an owner's manual. I absolutely feel like I got my money's worth. I would highly recommend looking at some of the older metal machines as a potential workhorse- you don't have to even get all crazy like I did!

Here's a picture of my baby:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-231967.jpe  
Old 07-26-2011, 10:22 AM

Thanks for all the input I've received. You're right on messing with horse blankets on a machine you'd be doing quilts on. I'm not into horses and wasn't thinking. DUH! Seem to be doing a lot of that DUH-stuff lately. LOL Will continue to check around today then make my final decision. Again thanks!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 AM

Let us know which machine you end up with and which one they end up with! :)
Old 07-26-2011, 12:32 PM

About which machine my son ends up with down the road, I'm betting he'll end up with either a Juki, a Consew (if that name is correct)or a certain model of a Singer. He has already done online investigating and because of motors types, whether they're driven this way or that and all that other stuff I tend to not be concerned about he had decided a model of one of those three brands.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:33 PM

a Brother 1500 is a good machine for such projects. Wish you luck with your choice..
Old 07-26-2011, 02:54 PM

Sounds like you are about to bite off more than you can chew. My son always wants me to "do the upholstery" in his car/boat/cushions. I told him to buy himself a industrial or heavy duty machine and learn to sew. I have done a little of this type work and it is a pain.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:52 PM

Don't worry Fayzer, I'm not going to be doing an upholstery gig! I've been there and done that many years ago. My first slipcover job was for our car and have upholstered chairs and a hide-a-bed. Woulde like to do slipcovers for some of my furniture now. My son took an upholstery course at Fullerton JC several years and still enjoys doing things like that. I've decided I'm going to give him money for Xmas toward buying his own machine. LOL I may be old but not totally dumb!!!! I'm debating about buying either a Babylock Quilters Professional or a Brother PQ 1500a. Hopefully will make my decision tonight or in the morning. have one more call to make!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by dottientx
Don't worry Fayzer, I'm not going to be doing an upholstery gig! I've been there and done that many years ago. My first slipcover job was for our car and have upholstered chairs and a hide-a-bed. Woulde like to do slipcovers for some of my furniture now. My son took an upholstery course at Fullerton JC several years and still enjoys doing things like that. I've decided I'm going to give him money for Xmas toward buying his own machine. LOL I may be old but not totally dumb!!!! I'm debating about buying either a Babylock Quilters Professional or a Brother PQ 1500a. Hopefully will make my decision tonight or in the morning. have one more call to make!
Good for you!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by mommaB
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I would suggest they buy their own machine and get the machine that works best for you for machine quilting!!
I whole heartedly agree. Let them search craiglist and so forth for their own. I don't think I'd want to be using my quilting machine on dirty horse blankets, etc...
I also agree. Don't expect a good quilting machine to do such heavy sewing work. Buy a cheap used one just for heavy repair.