Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Idea For Cemetary >

Need Idea For Cemetary

Need Idea For Cemetary

Old 04-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

Default Need Idea For Cemetary

Sunday me and dad are going to mom's grave, and take some flowers. I got her some Easter Lilies, but wanted to know if anyone has ideas of something else I could sew and make to put on her grave. I know that might not work, but today I seen all the quilt blocks painted on buildings, and kept wishing I knew of something meaningful, but simple to put on her grave. She sewed, and quilted all her life. Dad is in the process of getting the stone, but she died recently on March 13.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2012, 05:59 PM

You could make a little flag similar to those that people hang in gardens. It's only about 18" x 12" or 15". They are available in some of the stores ... I think Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Dollar General, Family Dollar, etc. I've even seen them in the Dollar Store at times.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:01 PM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

It's too bad you can't have a quilt block engraved on her stone. then the weather wouldn't be an issue, or maintenace. And a hundred years from now, everyone who saw it would know she loved quilts.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:06 PM

How about making a miniture and putting it in a glass frame. You could attach it to saddle later when her stone is in place.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc View Post
It's too bad you can't have a quilt block engraved on her stone. then the weather wouldn't be an issue, or maintenace. And a hundred years from now, everyone who saw it would know she loved quilts.
And there's no reason that a quilt block could not be put onto the headstone!!

Ditto to the others suggestions on making a small quilt to hang like a flag! If you can get flag material, that would be best, as it would last better through all weather conditions. Especially so, regarding fading.

As a note .... you might want to check with the cemetery so you are not disappointed later. Some cemeteries are very fussy, and will remove any items which do not meet their regulations. I'd hate you to go to a lot of work, and wonder where it disappeared to.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:43 PM

First of all, I am soooo sorry for your loss. The first holidays following a death can be very emotional and just draining. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your father and the rest of your family.

Why couldn't you have her favorite quilt block engraved on the head stone? I have friends whose family business is making headstones and they have put lots of things on head stones. When another friend's brother passed, they engraved a piano keyboard on his stone because he was an extremely gifted piano player. My father has the Masonic symbol on his.

Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 04-05-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 PM

What about something like this? http://theprayerflagproject.blogspot.com/
Old 04-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Jim

So sorry for your loss. I would make her favorite block and hang it from a small garden flag holder. Amazingly to most of us, thieves take things from graves everyday. It would be a shame to make something and have someone steal it shortly after you make it and put it on your Mom's grave. But her favorite mini quilt or block would really be nice. Again so sorry for your loss, prayers to you and your family....Jim
Old 04-05-2012, 09:46 PM
QM
Power Poster

A block on a headstone dounds good to me, but in the meantime, how about a nylon banner block.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:48 PM

That is exactly what we did for my mom and dad's headstone (a double). The monument company had an excellent artist and he draw a Hummingbird (my mom loved to watch them) and a tractor (my dad tinkered around with his antique tractor all the time). Once the rendering is made, it is then engraved onto the marble. It was very different for us. Also, in the manner of the flag style with a weatherproof quilt, we put a garden hanger at my mother's graveside and keep a small wind chime on it. She also loved wind chimes.

I think you could do either an engraving or a small quilt hanging to put on one of the garden flag hangers.

So sorry about the loss of your mother....my mother also LOVED Easter Lilies and although only 1 sister lives near enough to visit, I know there will be Easter Lilies in their urn on Sunday!

Last edited by Nanamoms; 04-05-2012 at 09:50 PM.